Subject: [PCN] Related work regarding "Resilient Admission Control"

From: Michael Menth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 14:30:12 +0200

Hi all,

as this BOF focuses on "Resilient Admission Control" I would like to 
draw your attention to the following papers.

1. We have collected different approaches for "Network Admission 
Control" and made them resilient to failures. A performance comparison 
shows that the difference among their resource requirements is significant:
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/staff/menth/Publications/papers/Menth07-Sub-3.pdf

2. Furthermore, we have done a comparison regarding the resource 
requirements in networks with (resilient) admission control and 
(resilient) capacity overprovisioning:
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/staff/menth/Publications/papers/Menth06n.pdf

3. Finally, I would like to point out a hybrid approach between 
parameter- and measurement-based AC which we call experience-based AC 
(EBAC). It does not need instant measurements and it essentially works 
like overbooking airplanes to get rid of the inefficiency of pure 
parameter-based AC:
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/staff/menth/Publications/papers/Menth06g.pdf

Kind regards,

    Michael

-- 
Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science
Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg, Germany, room B206
phone: (+49)-931/888-6644, fax: (+49)-931/888-6632
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/research/ngn

_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn

---

From: "Anna Charny \(acharny\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 10:40:05 -0400

Hi Michael,

I seem to be getting access Forbidden errors wen I try to access the
links  
You point to.  Is this something that can be fixed? 

Thanks,
Anna 
-----Original Message-----
From: Roy, Radhika R. [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:35 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [PCN] Related work regarding "Resilient Admission Control"

Hi, Michael:

Thanks for sending good papers, and I will go over those.

By the way, we will be pleased if you could send any papers related to
the "Measurement-based Admission Control" because the traffic
characteristics over the public Internet have become so complex due the
addition of real-time audio/video and Web-based applications, no traffic
models from circuit/packet-switched to the self-similar-traffic models
ever devised to the best of my knowledge are applicable.

For now, I hope that the distributed (and/or a kind of centralized)
measurement-based traffic models and call admission control will be more
realistic.

However, your help will be appreciated if you could point out some
papers that help the PCN folks like us.

Best regards,
Radhika

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Michael Menth
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 8:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [PCN] Related work regarding "Resilient Admission Control"

Hi all,

1. We have collected different approaches for "Network Admission
Control" and made them resilient to failures. A performance comparison
shows that the difference among their resource requirements is
significant:
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/staff/menth/Publications/papers/
Menth07-Sub-3.pdf

2. Furthermore, we have done a comparison regarding the resource
requirements in networks with (resilient) admission control and
(resilient) capacity overprovisioning:
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/staff/menth/Publications/papers/
Menth06n.pdf

http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/staff/menth/Publications/papers/
Menth06g.pdf

Kind regards,

    Michael

--
Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science Am Hubland,
D-97074 Wuerzburg, Germany, room B206
phone: (+49)-931/888-6644, fax: (+49)-931/888-6632
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/research/ngn

---

From: "Anna Charny \(acharny\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 08:33:34 -0400

Thank you, Michael! 

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Menth [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 8:21 AM
To: Roy, Radhika R.; Anna Charny (acharny)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [PCN] Related work regarding "Resilient Admission Control"

Dear Roy, dear Anna,

1. An overview with plenty of pointers into existing literature and a
categorization of different admission control methods can be found on
page 41 - 49 of my PhD thesis:
http://opus.bibliothek.uni-wuerzburg.de/opus/volltexte/2004/994/pdf/Ment
h04.pdf
As far as I have learned from Section 3.1.2 in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-cl-architecture-
03.txt,
the AC approach is a kind of feedback-based admission control (p. 48). 
Other protocols have implemented that concept in a similar (but not in
the same) way.

2. The links of my previous email regarding resilient admission control
are valid, but the mailer broke the URLs into two lines. You can also
use the following shortcuts to access the papers:
http://menth.net/Publications/papers/Menth07-Sub-3.pdf
http://menth.net/Publications/papers/Menth06n.pdf

3. Just to make our collection of papers on Experience-Based Admission
Control (EBAC) complete:
http://menth.net/Publications/papers/Menth04k.pdf
http://menth.net/Publications/papers/Menth04f.pdf
http://menth.net/Publications/papers/Menth06g.pdf
http://menth.net/Publications/papers/Menth06q.pdf

Kind regards,

    Michael

> characteristics over the public Internet have become so complex due 
> the addition of real-time audio/video and Web-based applications, no 
> traffic models from circuit/packet-switched to the 
> self-similar-traffic models ever devised to the best of my knowledge
are applicable.
> measurement-based traffic models and call admission control will be 
> more realistic.
>