Subject: [PCN] Question on RSVP state information

From: Michael Menth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 12:26:43 +0100

Hi,

I've got a question for RSVP experts. The RSVP PATH state stores the 
previous RSVP-capable hop of the future data flow. This information is 
needed that RESV messages can establish the reservation on the correct 
path.

My question: Is the next RSVP-capable hop of the future data 
communication also available in the RESV or PATH state of the 
reservation? At first spot, I don't see why RSVP would need it.

Regards,

    Michael

-- 
Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science
Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg, Germany, room B206
phone: (+49)-931/888-6644, fax: (+49)-931/888-6632
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/research/ngn

_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn

---

From: Francois Le Faucheur IMAP <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 14:02:27 +0100

Hi Michael,

On 7 Nov 2007, at 12:26, Michael Menth wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a question for RSVP experts. The RSVP PATH state stores  
> the previous RSVP-capable hop of the future data flow. This  
> information is needed that RESV messages can establish the  
> reservation on the correct path.
>

The Resv message contains the address of the RSVP router that issued  
the Resv message. It is kept as part of the Resv state by the  
upstream RSVP router. On this upstream RSVP router, this effectively  
identifies the current "RSVP Next Hop". This is useful for a number  
of features (like RSVP errors, Refresh Reduction,..).

Francois