Subject: [PCN] A Simple Analytical Model of PCN

From: "Raj Jain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 09:04:18 -0600

Analytical models often require simplifications but they provide good
insights in to the effects of various parameters. With this view point, we
have developed a simple model of PCN. We model n flows going through a
single bottleneck where the packets are marked using a token bucket. The
egress measures the rate of marked packets and sends it to the ingress point
which makes a decision to reject new flows or to terminate existing flows.

Currently the model assumes instantaneous feedback and infinite buffering
(therefore no loss). The sources are modeled with exponentially distributed
on/off period. We are able to get close form expressions for the rejection
and termination probabilities for single marking case.

An inital set of slides presenting the model are available at:

http://www.cse.wustl.edu/~jain/ietf/pcn0803.htm

We are still working on the presentation and, in the next few days, hope to
add sensitivity analysis and the effect of various parameters on thrashing
(when some flows are accepted while other flows are terminated).

Comments are welcome.

Thanks.

-Jinjing Jiang and Raj Jain
-----------------------------------------------------
Raj Jain, Ph.D., Fellow of IEEE, Fellow of ACM                      
Professor of Computer Science and Engineering                   
Washington University in St. Louis  
Campus Box 1045, One Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130
Phone: +1 314 322 8092
Email: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cse.wustl.edu/~jain
Author of: "High Performance TCP/IP Networking" and
"The Art of Computer Systems Performance Analysis"
------------------------------------------------------  

_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn