Subject: [PCN] A note on "00" code point

From: "Kwok-Ho Chan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:25:02 -0400

With all the discussion of PCN can not use the "00" code point in the 
ECN field
due to tunnelling constraints.
I took a step back and see that "00" can still indicate Not-PCN Capable Packet.
PCN is not using it, but other (non PCN) traffic is using it (this is 
same as 3168).
This raises the possibility of using the PCN DSCP for other purpose 
than separating
PCN and non PCN packets (current thinking in the PCN WG), giving us 
another code point.

I don't think this idea will get blessing from the DiffServ police (I 
know they are watching :).
As this will flatten the 8 bit DSCP+ECN space, e.g. having a 
filter/classifier read in 8 bits
instead of 6 bits and make classification decision based on the 8 
bits instead of 6 bits.

-- Kwok --

_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn