Subject: [PCN] PSDM and e2e PCN encoding

From: Michael Menth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 00:12:46 +0200

Hi,

I just submitted two drafts suggesting encodings for PCN that were 
discussed after the Philadelphia meeting. The documents provide a base 
to discuss them in Dublin.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-menth-pcn-psdm-encoding-00.txt 
proposes an encoding option for packet-specific dual marking (PSDM). It 
uses only a single DSCP (Voice-Admit DSCP) and supports both excess and 
exhaustive marking in a single PCN domain, but packets are either 
subject to excess or exhaustive marking, not to both. This kind of 
encoding is useful, e.g., to support probe-based admission control based 
on exhaustive marking and flow termination based on excess marking, but 
also to others (see intro). The ECN field of the Voice-Admit DSCP is 
interpreted as PCN codepoint only within PCN domains and outside PCN 
domains it is subject to standard ECN semantics.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-menth-pcn-e2e-encoding-00.txt 
requests alternate ECN semantics for the ECN field of the Voice-Admit 
DSCP. That allows its use for PCN encoding not only in PCN domains but 
also in the general Internet. With this extension it is possible to 
support end-to-end PCN as described in Section 4 of
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/staff/menth/Publications/Menth08-PCN-Comparison.pdf
However, this extension excludes the use of ECN to PCN flows. The 
assumed PCN encoding is the same as in the draft above, but this could 
also be applied to other PCN encodings with only a single DSCP. This 
draft is probably not in-charter as it looks forward, but documents 
potential extensions that may be required in the future.

Comments are welcome for both drafts.

Regards,

    Michael

-- 
Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science
Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg, Germany, room B206
phone: (+49)-931/888-6644, fax: (+49)-931/888-6632
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/research/ngn

_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn