Subject: [PCN] Initial Draft: draft-briscoe-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-00

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:21:54 +0000

Hi,

I just posted this new draft-briscoe-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-00.txt 
documenting another proposed experimental encoding that Toby 
described in a slide at the Dublin IETF.

I just wrote this because draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-tunnel-01.txt recenty 
became a WG item in tswvwg, so there's a chance we could finally fix 
ECN tunnelling behaviour. If we do, then we can have this much 
simpler 3-state PCN encoding in one Diffserv codepoint. I've called 
it the 3-in-1 PCN encoding.

It's just to put a stake in the ground so people can refer to it. We 
won't be pushing for this to become a PCN WG item until the baseline 
encoding has gone thru, and until draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-tunnel-01.txt 
has got a bit further in TSVWG.

Bob

>From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: New Version Notification for
>          draft-briscoe-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-00
>Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:46:29 -0700
>X-OriginalArrivalTime: 27 Oct 2008 15:46:37.0589 (UTC) 
>FILETIME=[32640C50:01C9384B]
>X-Spam-Score: 0 ()
>X-Scanned-By: MIMEDefang 2.56 on 132.146.168.158
>
>
>A new version of I-D, draft-briscoe-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-00.txt has 
>been successfuly submitted by Bob Briscoe and posted to the IETF repository.
>
>Filename:       draft-briscoe-pcn-3-in-1-encoding
>Revision:       00
>Title:          PCN 3-State Encoding Extension in a single DSCP
>Creation_date:  2008-10-27
>WG ID:          Independent Submission
>Number_of_pages: 8
>
>Abstract:
>Pre-congestion notification (PCN) is a mechanism designed to protect
>the quality of service of inelastic flows.  It does this by marking
>packets when traffic load on a link is approaching or has exceeded a
>threshold below the physical link rate.  This document specifies an
>extension to the two-state PCN baseline encoding that enables three
>encoding states to be carried in the IP header without using more
>than one Diffserv codepoint.  It presupposes a standards action has
>removed the limit of two encoding states in current tunnelling
>mechanisms.
> 
>
>
>
>The IETF Secretariat.

____________________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe, <[email-masked]>      Networks Research Centre, BT Research
B54/77 Adastral Park,Martlesham Heath,Ipswich,IP5 3RE,UK.    +44 1473 645196 

_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn