Subject: [PCN] I-D Action:draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 08:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Metering and marking behaviour of PCN-nodes
	Author(s)       : P. Eardley
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-04.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2009-06-25

The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain,
in a simple, scalable, and robust fashion.  This document specifies
the two metering and marking behaviours of PCN-nodes.  Threshold-
metering and -marking marks all PCN-packets if the rate of PCN-
traffic is greater than a configured rate ("PCN-threshold-rate").
Excess-traffic-metering and -marking marks a proportion of PCN-
packets, such that the amount marked equals the rate of PCN-traffic
in excess of a configured rate ("PCN-excess-rate").  The level of
marking allows PCN-boundary-nodes to make decisions about whether to
admit or terminate PCN-flows.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:34:23 +0100

New version that deals with the comments on v3, including those during
the IETF last call.

6.1.  Changes to -04 from -03

   Updates to take account of IETF last call comments, including a Gen-
   ART review from David Black, as follows:

   o  re-phrased of S2.2 first bullet for clarity

   o  S2.4 re-phrased, so that competing-non-PCN-packets that are
      metered are covered by the "SHOULD NOT be metered ..." text

   o  S2.4

   o  "Packet size independent (excess-traffic-)marking": re-phrased the
      para in 2.4 for clarity; altered the algorithm in Appendix A so it
      does PSIM; clarified the explanation in Appendix B.6 in light of
      this.  Clarified that if packet size independent marking (the
      SHOULD behaviour) is implemented, then the 'classic' marking
      doesn't have to be (ie it's only a MUST if PSIM isn't
      implemented).  Also added info on 'functionally equivalent'
      behaviour for PSIM.

   o  added Security Considerations, based on material from RFC5559

   o  other minor typos and clarifications

{ -----Original Message-----
{ From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
{ [email-masked]
{ Sent: 25 June 2009 16:30
{ To: [email-masked]
{ Cc: [email-masked]
{ Subject: [PCN] I-D Action:draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-04.txt
{ 
{ A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
{ directories.
{ This draft is a work item of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion
{ Notification Working Group of the IETF.
{ 
{ 
{ 	Title           : Metering and marking behaviour of PCN-nodes
{ 	Author(s)       : P. Eardley
{ 	Filename        : draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-04.txt
{ 	Pages           : 23
{ 	Date            : 2009-06-25
{ 
{ The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
{ quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain,
{ in a simple, scalable, and robust fashion.  This document specifies
{ the two metering and marking behaviours of PCN-nodes.  Threshold-
{ metering and -marking marks all PCN-packets if the rate of PCN-
{ traffic is greater than a configured rate ("PCN-threshold-rate").
{ Excess-traffic-metering and -marking marks a proportion of PCN-
{ packets, such that the amount marked equals the rate of PCN-traffic
{ in excess of a configured rate ("PCN-excess-rate").  The level of
{ marking allows PCN-boundary-nodes to make decisions about whether to
{ admit or terminate PCN-flows.
{ 
{ A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
{ http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-
{ 04.txt
{ 
{ Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
{ ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
{ 
{ Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
{ implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
{ Internet-Draft.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 11:51:18 -0400

>    o  other minor typos and clarifications

Diffs from -03 can be viewed at:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-04

Regards,

// Steve