Subject: [PCN] I-D Action:draft-ietf-pcn-encoding-comparison-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Pre-Congestion Notification Encoding Comparison
	Author(s)       : K. Chan, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pcn-encoding-comparison-01.txt
	Pages           : 36
	Date            : 2009-10-26

A number of mechanisms have been proposed to support differential
Qualiy of Service for packets in the Internet.  DiffServ is an
example of such a mechanism.  However, the level of assurance that
can be provided with DiffServ without substantial over-provisioning
is limited.  Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) uses path congestion
information across a PCN region to enable per-flow admission control
to provide the required service guarantees for the admitted traffic.
While admission control will protect the QoS under normal operating
conditions, an additional flow termination mechanism is necessary to
cope with extreme events (e.g. route changes due to link or node
failure).

In order to allow the PCN mechanisms to work it is necessary for IP
packets to be able to carry the pre-congestion information to the PCN
egress nodes.  This document collects the lessons learned as we
explore the different ways in which this information can be encoded
into IP packets.  This document does not choose the encoding but
provide information on trade offs with the encoding choices,
providing guidance based on different criteria.  This document
provides a historical trace of the consideration on different
encoding alternatives for Pre-Congestion Notification.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-encoding-comparison-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.