Subject: [PCN] RFC 5670 on Metering and Marking Behaviour of PCN-Nodes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:29:29 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5670

        Title:      Metering and Marking Behaviour of 
                    PCN-Nodes 
        Author:     P. Eardley, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       November 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 44363
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5670.txt

The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain
in a simple, scalable, and robust fashion.  This document defines the
two metering and marking behaviours of PCN-nodes.  Threshold-metering
and -marking marks all PCN-packets if the rate of PCN-traffic is
greater than a configured rate ("PCN-threshold-rate").  Excess-
traffic-metering and -marking marks a proportion of PCN-packets, such
that the amount marked equals the rate of PCN-traffic in excess of a
configured rate ("PCN-excess-rate").  The level of marking allows
PCN-boundary-nodes to make decisions about whether to admit or
terminate PCN-flows.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute