Subject: Re: [PCN] Correction for 3in1 Encoding Draft

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 23:28:42 +0000

Kwok,

Thanks for noticing this mistake. I agree. I'll quickly change it 
before the deadline - right now.

Bob

At 20:01 03/03/2010, Michael Menth wrote:
>I agree.
>
>Michael
>
>Kwok Ho Chan schrieb:
>>Hi Toby, Bob:
>>I found a simple error in
>>http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-01.txt
>>
>>In the Introduction Section in the second paragraph:
>>Original Text:
>>
>>    The level of marking allows boundary nodes to make
>>decisions about
>>    whether to admit or terminate.  This is achieved by
>>marking packets
>>    on interior nodes according to some metering function
>>implemented at
>>    each node.  Excess-traffic-marking marks PCN packets
>>that exceed a
>>    certain reference rate on a link while threshold marking
>>marks all
>>    PCN packets on a link when the PCN traffic rate exceeds a
>>higher
>>    reference rate [RFC5670].  These marks are monitored by
>>the egress
>>    nodes of the PCN domain.
>>
>>
>>I believe "Threshold Rate and Mark" is used for Admission Control
>>and "Excess Rate and Mark" is used for Termination.
>>Hence "Excess Rate and Mark" is higher and more sever than
>>"Threshold Rate and Mark" (the opposite of how the original text reads).
>>
>>If this is agreed (as RFC 5670, 5559 indicates),
>>then a simple fix can be:
>>
>>    The level of marking allows boundary nodes to make
>>decisions about
>>    whether to admit or terminate.  This is achieved by
>>marking packets
>>    on interior nodes according to some metering function
>>implemented at
>>    each node.  Threshold-traffic-marking marks all PCN
>>packets that exceed
>>    the threshold-traffic-rate on a link while
>>Excess-traffic-marking marks
>>    PCN packets based on the excess-traffic-rate, with the
>>excess-traffic-rate
>>    higher than the threshold-traffic-rate [RFC5670]. These marks 
>> are monitored by the egress
>>    nodes of the PCN domain.
>>
>>
>>will resolve this.
>>
>>I think the rest of the draft used "Threshold" and "Excess" correctly.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>-- Kwok --
>
>--
>Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
>University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science
>Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg, Germany, room B206
>phone: (+49)-931/31-86644 (new), fax: (+49)-931/31-86632 (new)
>mailto:[email-masked]
>http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/research/ngn

________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe,                                BT Innovate & Design