Subject: [pcp] UPnP interop #28 (new): UPnP/NAT-PMP Interop functionality in base spec or separate specs

From: "pcp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 20:21:11 -0000

#28: UPnP/NAT-PMP Interop functionality in base spec or separate specs

 From http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pcp/current/msg00173.html

    I thought the base PCP document focuses on basic functions; but I'm
    not sure IGD and NAT-PMP IWFs are part of that set.  These functions
    are to be discussed IMHO in dedicated document(s) whenever required.
    I know my position may be seen as biased because I'm author of
    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bpw-pcp-upnp-igd-interworking/
    which includes more information than what is in the pcp-base
    document.

    I'm not sure there is a justification for a PCP Server to send a NAT-
    PMP error message instead of returning a PCP Error message with a
    code error set to Unsupported version only for the backward
    compatibility with NAT-PMP.  What a NAT-PMP Client will do when it
    receives that error message, it will stop to send subsequent messages
    to the PCP Server?  Isn't it easier to use a distinct port number for
    PCP?

    With a distinct port number for PCP, there is not conflict between
    NAT-PMP and PCP.

    A NAT-PMP speaker which is upgraded to be PCP-speaker will
    know the PCP dedicated port.

    A NAT-PMP speaker which is not PCP-speaker won't never sent a NAT-PMP
    message to a PCP Server.

    In conclusion:

    o  I suggest IWFs are specified in dedicated documents whenever
       required.

    o  To avoid any interference with NAT-PMP, a dedicated port number to
       be assigned to PCP.

-- 
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  multiple            |       Owner:     
     Type:  task                |      Status:  new
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:     
Component:  UPnP interop        |     Version:     
 Severity:  Active WG Document  |    Keywords:     
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/pcp/trac/ticket/28>
pcp <http://tools.ietf.org/pcp/>