Subject: [pcp] DThaler comments on draft-perreault-softwire-lw4over6-pcp-00

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 05:22:37 +0000

I have reviewed draft-perreault-softwire-lw4over6-pcp-00 and added my comments
and editorial suggestions into the marked up copy at
http://research.microsoft.com/~dthaler/draft-perreault-softwire-lw4over6-pcp-00.pdf

-Dave

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 11:36:42 +0200

Le 2013-07-02 07:22, Dave Thaler a écrit :
> I have reviewed draft-perreault-softwire-lw4over6-pcp-00 and added my
> comments and editorial suggestions into the marked up copy at

Thanks! I'll try to address them here:

> Only the external ip address/ports. Other parameters are configured
> with other protocols like DHCP as explained in section 3.1. The title
> of this draft is equally bad in that respect.
and about section 3.1 you say:
> This section is informative not normative yes? That is, nothing here
> is mentioned beyond what’s already specified in other rfcs, yes?
> Would help to clarify this.

We need consider DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 separately. In our proposal we do use 
DHCPv6, and specifically OPTION_AFTR_NAME, to provision the tunnel's 
destination address. But we do not use DHCPv4.

Now, in section 3.1 we explain how to provision the outside (IPv6) 
tunnel addresses and the inside (IPv4) tunnel addresses. The outside is 
provisioned as described in draft-ietf-softwire-unified-cpe-01, and we 
need to add a reference to it. However, the inside provisioning is 
specific to our proposal. We adapt the static address provisioning 
method from DS-Lite. AFAIK that is discussed in neither 
draft-ietf-softwire-lw4over6-00 nor draft-ietf-softwire-unified-cpe-01 
because the tunnel's inside is unnumbered. In our proposal, we need a 
numbered tunnel to be able to use PCP.

If that explanation makes sense, we'll try to clarify along those lines 
in -01.

-----------

Section "3.3. PCP Proxy" will be vastly simplified by referring to 
draft-ietf-pcp-proxy.

-----------

I'll let my coauthors speak about section "3.4. Failover Mechanism".

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca