Subject: [pcp] FW: New Version Notification for draft-penno-pcp-asdn-00.txt

From: "Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 05:46:46 +0000

This document describes an approach where using PCP the application explicitly signals its needs to the network to provide additional network services such as QoS or supplemental bandwidth and the Policy Decision Point (for e.g. SDN controller) programs the network with flow information and its associated metadata to provide differentiated treatment.

comments and suggestions are welcome.

-Authors.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2013 8:36 PM
To: Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy); Suresh Vinapamula; Reinaldo Penno (repenno); Mohamed Boucadair; Dan Wing (dwing)
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-penno-pcp-asdn-00.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-penno-pcp-asdn-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Reinaldo Penno and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-penno-pcp-asdn
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Application Enabled SDN (A-SDN)
Creation date:	 2013-09-29
Group:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 12
URL:             http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-penno-pcp-asdn-00.txt
Status:          http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-penno-pcp-asdn
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-penno-pcp-asdn-00

Abstract:
   To allow traversal of firewalls or provide additional network
   services such as QoS or supplemental bandwidth, it is necessary to
   deploy application-aware network elements.  Such network elements are
   costly to create, deploy, and are unable to adequately cope with
   changes to the application itself, stifling innovation.

   This document describes a different approach, where the application
   explicitly signals its needs to the network.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 09:14:32 -0400

So this is a substitute for RSVP in particular?

On 30/09/2013 1:46 AM, Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy) wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> pcp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcp
>

---

From: "Reinaldo Penno (repenno)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:16:54 +0000

Hi Tom,

In a nutshell, for the scenarios described in the draft, yes. But with
worked to correct or bring differentiators that we believe make this
solution interesting.

Last IETF we presented the draft
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wing-pcp-flowdata-00) and implementation
of these ideas on both MiniUPnP and Tramsission Bittorrent client.

A more generic app<->network signaling and metadata discussion can be
found in:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-eckert-intarea-flow-metadata-framework-00

Thanks,

Reinaldo

The motivations behind this solution are further discussed in

On 9/30/13 6:14 AM, "Tom Taylor" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> This document describes an approach where using PCP the application
>>explicitly signals its needs to the network to provide additional
>>network services such as QoS or supplemental bandwidth and the Policy
>>Decision Point (for e.g. SDN controller) programs the network with flow
>>information and its associated metadata to provide differentiated
>>treatment.
>>
>> To: Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy); Suresh Vinapamula; Reinaldo Penno
>>(repenno); Mohamed Boucadair; Dan Wing (dwing)
>> URL:            
>>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-penno-pcp-asdn-00.txt