Subject: [Pearg] Fwd: New Non-WG Mailing List: MEDUP

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 08:08:05 -0800

IETF apps and real-time area list for discussing privacy

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 8:05 AM
Subject: New Non-WG Mailing List: MEDUP
To: IETF Announcement List <[email-masked]>
CC: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>

A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.

List address: [email-masked]
Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/medup/
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/medup

Purpose:
RFC 8280 has identified and documented important principles in such as Data
Minimization, End-to-End and Interoperability in order to enable access to
Human Rights. While (partial) implementations of these concepts are already
available, today's applications widely lack Privacy support that ordinary
users can easily handle.

In MEDUP these issues are addressed based on Opportunistic Security (RFC
7435) principles. Updates/usage clarifications to application level
protocols such as email and XMPP are in scope.

This list belong IETF area: ART

For additional information, please contact the list administrators.

---

From: Corinne Cath <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 20:36:25 +0000

Hi,

Does anyone have some additional background on this group? How it came
about and what does it mean to be a non-working group list?

Kind regards,

Corinne

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 5:08 PM Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> RFC 8280 has identified and documented important principles in such as
> Data Minimization, End-to-End and Interoperability in order to enable
> access to Human Rights. While (partial) implementations of these concepts
> are already available, today's applications widely lack Privacy support
> that ordinary users can easily handle.
>
> --
> Pearg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/pearg
>

-- 
Corinne Cath - Speth
Ph.D. Candidate, Oxford Internet Institute & Alan Turing Institute

Web: www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/corinne-cath
Email: [email-masked] & [email-masked]
Twitter: @C_Cath

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 21:50:08 +0100

On Feb 1, 2019, at 21:36, Corinne Cath <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Does anyone have some additional background on this group? How it came about and what does it mean to be a non-working group list?

Inquiring minds want to know.

> For additional information, please contact the list administrators.

Now in To:-field of this mail.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Bernie Hoeneisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 22:18:49 +0100 (CET)

Dear Corinne, Carsten et al.

As one of the list administrators, I am trying to answer your questions.
Though, I am not sure, what exactelly you mean by "additional background".

You can find some basic information and links to existing Internet-Drafts 
in my intro email at:

   https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/medup/mbrbhFekt_srXShzpCa4RiXgPbY
   https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/medup/

The main proponents are from the pEp Foundation:

   https://pep.foundation/

This non-working group list intends to discuss the proposals and 
Internet-Drafts submitted (without the formal framework of a Working 
Group) and to prepare a BoF proposal on the topic.

Does this answer your questions?

Best,
  Bernie

---

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 13:51:53 -0800

Corinne,

An AD can approve a discussion list that is not specific to a WG and that
may or may not indicate a BOF is coming.  You can look on the IETF BOF wiki
for current BOF proposals, though, check it at the deadline to see all
proposed for IETF 104 (deadline 2/8)

BOF wiki:
https://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/

I expect that MEDUP will discuss shorter time horizons than PEARG, as being
from IETF ART versus IRTF.

Allison

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 23:08:33 +0100

Hi Bernie,

thanks — that message didn’t exist at the time I subscribed to the list.
(I generally don’t like having to subscribe to something as a precaution in case it turns out to be interesting, but this one might indeed be.)

(I haven’t read all the references yet, though…)

Grüße, Carsten

> On Feb 1, 2019, at 22:18, Bernie Hoeneisen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> You can find some basic information and links to existing Internet-Drafts in my intro email at:
> 
> This non-working group list intends to discuss the proposals and Internet-Drafts submitted (without the formal framework of a Working Group) and to prepare a BoF proposal on the topic.
>