Subject: [Pearg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-pearg-numeric-ids-generation-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 15:48:10 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Privacy Enhancements and Assessments Research Group RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : On the Generation of Transient Numeric Identifiers
        Authors         : Fernando Gont
                          Ivan Arce
	Filename        : draft-irtf-pearg-numeric-ids-generation-05.txt
	Pages           : 37
	Date            : 2021-01-06

Abstract:
   This document performs an analysis of the security and privacy
   implications of different types of "transient numeric identifiers"
   used in IETF protocols, and tries to categorize them based on their
   interoperability requirements and the associated failure severity
   when such requirements are not met.  Subsequently, it provides advice
   on possible algorithms that could be employed to satisfy the
   interoperability requirements of each identifier category, while
   minimizing the negative security and privacy implications, thus
   providing guidance to protocol designers and protocol implementers.
   Finally, it describes a number of algorithms that have been employed
   in real implementations to generate transient numeric identifiers and
   analyzes their security and privacy properties.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-pearg-numeric-ids-generation/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-pearg-numeric-ids-generation-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-pearg-numeric-ids-generation-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-pearg-numeric-ids-generation-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 20:56:04 -0300

Folks,

FYI, this rev addresses comments we received off-list, some minor issues 
that we found while doing a fresh review ourselves, and comments that we 
got as a result of draft-gont-numeric-ids-sec-considerations being last 
called (that led to folks looking at the two PEARG I-Ds on numeric IDs).

Other than generally polishing the text and fixing minor errors:

* We added a short Section "8.3.  Fingerprinting", upon request of 
Bernard Aboba.

* All discussion of algorithms or techniques that generally have 
negative implications has been moved into Appendix A.

If you can please do take a look and let us know what you think.

Thanks!

Regards,
Fernando

-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492