Subject: [Pearg] Review of Privacy section in draft-ietf-drip-rid

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 09:22:38 -0400

To pearg list members:

I have been advised to submit here draft-ietf-drip-rid for comments.

DRIP is Drone (Unmanned Aircraft) Remote ID Protocols.

The 1st phase of DRIP is adding trustworthiness to the Remote ID 
mandated in recent FAA (and EASA) regulations and technically defined in 
ASTM F3411.

This is Broadcasting information about the UA over Bluetooth and WiFi to 
all observers within radio range (up to 1KM).

Sec 8 in the draft is on Privacy or the challenge to even provide any 
privacy.

There is an opinion, since the National Airspace (NAS) is the 
responsiblity of the local Civil Aviation Administration (CAA, e.g. 
FAA), that sorry, you play, you say who you are and what you are doing.

Note that legally, any self-sustained device (excludes ground effect 
like hovercraft) one inch (though some argue 1 foot) above ground up to 
50,000' is controled by the FAA in the US (though FAA, USAF and NASA 
argue the ceiling).

In other words, you have no rights to fly even in your backyard or over 
your roof other than what the FAA grants you.   None.  It is the law, 
poorly enforced unless they want to.

But what degree of information visiblity SHOULD be allowed to maintain 
safe use of the NAS?  FAA (admittedly acting as proxy for other 
agencies) require information about the UA Operator as well (and EASA 
also has this requirement).

So take a look at the draft.  Look at sec 8, Privacy.

I cannot participate in the pearg session.  It is the same time as 
DRIP.  And the previous session I am presenting in CFRG about my use of 
small hashes and KMAC.

I do hope to hear back from others.

Robert Moskowitz