Subject: [Pearg] Thoughts on privacy-preserving techniques used at the network layer

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 23:08:33 -0000

Hi PEARG,

I didn't make it to your meeting on Thursday, but I see you had a
presentation on "State of the art on privacy-preserving techniques used at
the network layer".

I had a quick look through the slides and I think this is an interested and
somewhat neglected topic.

Two things to bring to your attention in the context of this network-layer
work.

We had a presentation at a side meeting mid-week on "End-to-End Privacy for
Identity & Location with IP" from Gregor Haywood of St Andrews University
based on a paper at NIPAA-21
You can see the slides at
https://github.com/danielkinguk/sarah/blob/main/conferences/ietf-112/materia
ls/haywood-nipaa21-irtf.pdf
We'll have the recording of the meeting posted at
https://github.com/danielkinguk/sarah/tree/main/conferences/ietf-112 in a
couple of days.
The essence of the work is to use ILNP to enable random variation in the low
order part of an address based (the NID).

There is an old draft abandoned by the MPLS working group on "Opportunistic
Security in MPLS Networks"
See it at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-opportunistic-encrypt/
This was an experimental approach to providing opportunistic encryption on
LSPs where the end points were both capable.
The draft was abandoned when our plans for experimental implementation fell
through.
We do believe that the protocol work is robust, and we would welcome
assistance with further research.

Happy to entertain questions.

Best,
Adrian