Subject: [Pesci-discuss] Minutes for PESCI team meeting 5th October 2005

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:59:29 +0100

Hi folks,
Sorry this is almost a week late. Trying to fit everything into my life.
Cheers,
Adrian
===
PESCI conference call 2pm GMT Wednesday 5th October September 2005
       Harald Alvestrand
       Scott Brim
       Brian Carpenter
       Elwyn Davies
       Adrian Farrel
       Michael Richardson

Agenda for the call:
- Brainstorm on list of guiding principles and goals for inclusion in the
I-D

1. Principles and Goals

* Limited list of sacred cows must be included
  - open process
  - rough consensus
  - running code when we can get it

* All decisions are subject to appeal. A complete complaints, conciliation
  and appeals process should be documented.

* Decision criteria and procedures that support the process should be
  publicly documented.
  - This should include criteria for document quality (distinct from
TechSpec)

* Cycling through leadership positions should be encouraged rather than
  making them a career.
  - Debated the underlying goal.
  - Agreed that discussion of fixed term is not in scope as it is not a
    goal per se.

* Goal with NomCom is to ensure that there is a sufficiently large pool of
  volunteers.
  - Issues of how NomCom work is structured and how much work there is,
    may impact on this, but discussions of fixing this are solutionism.

* Need a method to develop future leaders within the active community
  should be added
  - Problem is that we don't have a large enough pool of candidate leaders
  - Process must include a way for people to be trained

* WGs should be primarily responsible for the quality of their output.
  - An objective is to reduce the number of IESG DISCUSSes
  - Aim for some consistency of I-Ds as they hit the IESG

2. I-D
* Elwyn has taken over editing the I-D. Aim to have a new version for team
  review ASAP.

3. Other Points
* We need to examine each principle that we document to check that it is a
  real principle and not a solution. Where it is a solution, we need to
  dig for the real principle.

* May need to capture the fact that there is distinctiveness about the
  IETF Areas.

4. Next Call
* Next call Wednesday 12th October.

Meeting ended 3pm GMT.

_______________________________________________
Pesci-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pesci-discuss

---

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 00:55:04 +0200

If the following inserts can help?

>   - running code when we can get it

     - alternative experimentation reports
     - digital convergence with other SSDO (their needs/positions are 
our concerns)
     - user QA

>   and appeals process should be documented.

Privacy and Defense rights are to be protected and warrantied.

>   - Process must include a way for people to be trained

Local Testing units could be used as local pool of competence, 
representation and IETF cultural training. In coordination with ISOC. 
A way to multiculturalise the IETF.

>   - Aim for some consistency of I-Ds as they hit the IESG

There should be a way to block a WG when it becomes politically sided 
or commercially derailed. The problem is that opponents and political 
supporters are outside the IETF, the WG may be on-purpose or lead to 
consensus by exhaustion.

>   dig for the real principle.

ditto if introduced solutions do not hide new principles which may 
conflict further on.

jfc