Subject: Paper on layer interactions

From: Hans Kruse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 13:48:34 -0400

I will present a paper classifiying the interactions between security 
(especially IPsec) and NATs, PEPs, etc., at an e-commerce conference in 
October.

The paper is at http://www.csm.ohiou.edu/kruse/publications/HK-ICTEC99.pdf
comments are welcome.  This is a first stab at writing this down, and I 
would like to develop this further.

BTW, info on the conference is at http://munin.utdallas.edu/atsma/ictec/

----------------------
Hans Kruse, Associate Professor, Director
McClure School of Communication Systems Management
Ohio University
[email-masked] 740-593-4891 voice, 740-593-4889 fax

---

From: Sally Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:35:43 -0700

Hans -

>(especially IPsec) and NATs, PEPs, etc., at an e-commerce conference in 

I have also listed a few non-security-related interactions between
the transport layer and other layers in viewgraphs from a talk, on
pages 21-28 of a talk on "On the Evolution of End-to-end Congestion
Control in the Internet: An Idiosyncratic View" at
"http://www.aciri.org/floyd/talks/sf-evolution-Apr99.ps" and
"http://www.aciri.org/floyd/talks/sf-evolution-Apr99.pdf".

A related interaction between the separately-developed work of
IPsec and ECN (Explicit Congestion Notification) is discussed in
the internet draft on IPsec Interactions with ECN by Sally Floyd,
David Black, and K.K. Ramakrishnan,
"http://www.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/internet-drafts/draft-ipsec-ecn-00.txt".
Again, this one is not particularly security-related, but you might
be interested.  It is a good example of two pieces of separately-developed
work that collide when they are deployed in the same global Internet.

I think that the whole area of interactions between layers has
significant repercussions that we are far from understanding, for
the robustness and flexibility (as opposed to rigidity) of the
architecture.

- Sally
--------------------------------
http://www.aciri.org/floyd/
--------------------------------