Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pilc-link-design-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:10:10 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Performance Implications of Link Characteristics Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Advice for Internet Subnetwork Designers
	Author(s)	: P. Karn, A. Falk, J. Touch,  M. Montpetit,
                          J. Mahdavi, G. Montenegro
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pilc-link-design-01.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 27-Oct-99
	
This document provides advice to the designers of digital
communication equipment, link layer protocols and packet switched
subnetworks (collectively referred to as subnetworks) who wish to
support the Internet protocols but who may be unfamiliar with the
architecture of the Internet and the implications of their design
choices on the performance and efficiency of the Internet.
This document represents an evolving consensus of the members of the
IETF Performance Implications of Link Characteristics (PILC) working
group.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pilc-link-design-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pilc-link-design-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pilc-link-design-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.