Subject: RE: FW: PILC Minutes

From: "Falk, Aaron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:47:25 -0500

> it is unclear to me whether small 
> devices such as cell phones
> will eventually have a TCP/IP stack. 

Why not?

--aaron

---

From: Miguel Sanchez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:03:52 +0100

Hi,

In the past 1999 Embedded Internet Workshop, some Internet applicances
were presented. Some of them using 8-bit micros.
In

http://www.circuitcellar.com/eiw/99eiw/proceedings.htm

you can see one of such a system . This is much less intelligence than a
regular cellular phone.

Regards,

Miguel Sanchez

--
Miguel Sanchez Lopez                            |       [email-masked]
Universidad Politecnica de Valencia             | voice:+3496 387 9700
Camino de Vera, 14                              | fax:  +3496 387 7579
46071 VALENCIA (Spain)                          |

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:15:52 +0000 (GMT)

> > will eventually have a TCP/IP stack. 

...especially since some cellphones _already_ have TCP/IP stacks?
(thinking of e.g. the Nokia 9110 Communicator GSM cellphone here.)

WAP isn't PILC's problem.

L.

and pretty soon, WAP won't be _anyone's_ problem.
http://www.ics.uci.edu/%7Erohit/IEEE-L7-WAP.html

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Dan Grossman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:59:36 -0500

> > will eventually have a TCP/IP stack. 
Maybe a better way to phrase it is that there is no universally agreed time 
certain when all small devices will operate a TCP/IP stack across all air 
interfaces.  There are legitimate concerns about such complex interrelated 
issues as bandwidth efficiency, power consumption and processing power that 
such devices need to address.  These will persist at least for the foreseeable 
future.

Might I suggest that PILC may have more constructive things to do than taking 
potshots at WAP?