Subject: Re: FW: PILC Minutes

From: Zhimei Jiang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 08:39:09 -0500 (EST)

> Delivered-To: [email-masked]
> To: "Falk, Aaron" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "'Zhimei Jiang'" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: FW: PILC Minutes 
> Mime-Version: 1.0
> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:59:36 -0500
> From: Dan Grossman <[email-masked]>
> 
> > > it is unclear to me whether small 
> > > devices such as cell phones
> > > will eventually have a TCP/IP stack. 
> > 
> > Why not?
> > 
> > --aaron
> Maybe a better way to phrase it is that there is no universally agreed time 
> certain when all small devices will operate a TCP/IP stack across all air 
> interfaces.  There are legitimate concerns about such complex interrelated 
> issues as bandwidth efficiency, power consumption and processing power that 
> such devices need to address.  These will persist at least for the foreseeable 
> future.
> 
> Might I suggest that PILC may have more constructive things to do than taking 
> potshots at WAP?  
> 
> 
> 

Indeed I should have said 'when' instead of 'whether' it is going to happen. 
In fact, looks like it is happening much faster than I thought, based on all
the discussions from yesterday. And I agree that a WAP server could be an
example of PEP, at transport/application layer, depending on which part of 
WAP we are looking at. That's it for my two cents. 

Zhimei

--

Zhimei Jiang
AT&T Labs -- Research
Room 4-128, 100 Schulz Drive
Red Bank, NJ 07701-7033
732-345-3156 (voice)
732-345-3039 (fax)

---

From: Dan Grossman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:10:12 -0500

> WAP we are looking at. That's it for my two cents. 
I was suggesting that there was uncertainty as to whether, as well as when. 
Sweeping technological predictions usually turn out to be wrong.  The 
marketplace has a funny habit of not doing what the engineers want, especially 
when it comes to one-size-fits-all solutions. 

More to the point, I was suggesting that rather than spending bandwidth, 
intellectual and otherwise, on WAP bashing, that we focus on performance 
issues involving TCP and IP over air interfaces (which is what we were 
supposed to be doing in the first place).