Subject: yet another TCP thesis

From: Andrei Gurtov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:53:38 +0200 (EET)

Hello!

 Reiner and others have pointed out that slow wireless links are often
heavily overbuffered, but not so much work have been done to determine an
optimal buffer size and/or determine appropriate parameters for RED in the
last-hop buffer.
 Matthew have mentioned the problem of the slow-start overshot in the FACK
paper and suggested the overdumping algorithm to prevent it. There can be
other ways also.
 BSD-clone OSes have been a long time a de-facto standard for TCP
research. However, currently also the upcoming Linux kernel 2.4 can be
used for serious TCP research. BSD has somewhat deteriorated from past
"high-conformance" standards: for example FreeBSD-latest have no slow
start in the same subnetwork that doesn't look very nice over a dial-up
PPP link.
 A master thesis "TCP performance at the presence of congestion and
corruption losses" available at
http://www.cs.Helsinki.FI/research/iwtcp/papers/ addresses these issues
and evaluation of the effect of the increased initial window, reduced
receiver window, new reno and sack on TCP over an emulated wireless link.
  Comments?

Andrei