Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pilc-pep-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 06:47:07 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Performance Implications of Link Characteristics Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Performance Enhancing Proxies Intended to Mitigate    
                          Link-Related Degradations
	Author(s)	: J. Border, M. Kojo, J. Griner, G. Montenegro, Z. Shelby
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pilc-pep-07.txt
	Pages		: 45
	Date		: 04-May-01
	
This document is a survey of Performance Enhancing Proxies (PEPs)
often employed to improve degraded TCP performance caused by
characteristics of specific link environments, for example, in
satellite, wireless WAN, and wireless LAN environments.  Different
types of Performance Enhancing Proxies are described as well as the
mechanisms used to improve performance.  Emphasis is put on proxies
operating with TCP.  In addition, motivations for their development
and use are described along with some of the consequences of using
them, especially in the context of the Internet.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pilc-pep-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pilc-pep-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pilc-pep-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.