Subject: "rwnd control" as a PEP mechanism

From: Michele Milani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 18:12:42 +0100

Dear Sirs,

my name is Michele milani and I work as a researcher at CEFRIEL, Politecnico
di Milano, Italy.

I'm "lurking" pilc ML from some months, but this is my first post. I think
you're doing a very interesting and good job with pilc WG.

I'm very interested in all pilc topics, but especially RFC 3135 and "TCP
over 2.5G and 3G Wireless Networks" I-D attract my research interests.

I have one question regarding PEPs: why RFC 3135 doesn't mention "rwnd
control" as a mechanism PEPs can use to improve performance?

I searched through the ML archive, but the only post regarding rwnd I could
find is:

Impact of Receiver Window
From: Chadi M. BARAKAT
Date: Fri Jul 30 1999 
http://pilc.grc.nasa.gov/pilc/list/archive/0388.html

Let me know your comments.

Cheers,
Michele
___________________________________________________________________________
Michele Milani, Area E-service Technologies, CEFRIEL, Politecnico di Milano
via Fucini 2, 20133 Milano, Italy
Phone: +39-02-23954 210, Fax: +39-02-23954 410
Email: [email-masked], Web: http://www.cefriel.it/~milani
___________________________________________________________________________

---

From: John Border <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 12:44:07 -0500

Could you elaborate in three or four sentences what you mean by "rwnd
control"?

    It looks to me like the post you reference is talking about a change to
the TCP sender and not a PEP.  

    In any case, RFC 3135 is a "survey" document and, as such, is not intended
to capture every single possible "PEP" idea.  It is just trying to get across
the concepts of the kinds of things that are done by a PEP (and the reasons
why they are used and the consequences of using them)...

John