Subject: Call for Freeze: TCP Header Compression Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: 27 Mar 2002 15:23:27 +0100

Dear all,

the ROHC WG is currently working on a TCP profile for the ROHC
framework. This profile is intended to be the future header
compression scheme for TCP, replacing RFC1144 and RFC2507 TCP header
compression in the age of SACK, ECN, and other TCP innovations the
older header compression schemes do not handle well.

Within this process, a requirements document has been produced, and
this document has evolved concurrent with the initial profile work.

Now, we consider the requirements document ready.  Clearly, these
requirements need input from a larger community than just the
compression people -- we are therefore last-calling the document in
the ROHC, PILC and TSVWG working groups. (Since we do not plan to
submit this document to the IESG before the profile itself is
completed, the last call is referred to as a "call for freeze", but
apart from that it has the same meaning as a regular WG last-call.)

The document we are "freeze-calling" is:
       draft-ietf-rohc-tcp-requirements-03.txt
                  (for later publication as Informational)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rohc-tcp-requirements-03.txt

Please direct your comments to the rohc mailing list [email-masked]
(with a subject that contains "TCP requirements freeze"), not later
than Thu 2002-04-11 23:00 UTC.

A companion document that is currently being written to identify
the challenges for TCP compression can be found at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rohc-tcp-field-behavior-00.txt

This document might be a useful complement when reading the
requirements, and comments on this draft are also very welcome.

Gruesse,
/Lars-Erik & Carsten

PS.: A courtesy copy (in the best sense, I hope) goes to the end2end
list because of their TCP background.  Please trim the headers when
responding.