Subject: [pilc] CFP : 2003 Space Internet Workshop

From: "Shirley Tseng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:52:43 -0800

Space Internet Workshop2003 Space Internet Workshop :
http://scp.grc.nasa.gov/siw/index.html

Call for Papers

 SPACE INTERNET OVERVIEW

  The Space Internet Workshop (SIWIII) will bring together mission planners,
technologists, system designers, engineers, and scientists from the space
community to enable transparent end-to-end network communications among
space mission resources.  Communications within and between the various
space environments are included.  This workshop is third in the series to
continue comprehensive discussions of cost-effective technical solutions for
the design and engineering of mission communications.  The goal is to foster
dialog on current and near-term related activities for deploying Internet
technologies for flight missions and identify critical technology
development areas.

  All final submissions must be in the form of presentations only.  All
workshop activities will take place in an open forum and participants are
advised that there is no explicit protection for proprietary information.

  We look forward to your participation in Cleveland, Ohio for the Third
Space Internet Workshop.

 MISSION PLANS & IMPLEMENTATION
  Missions planning to use Internet communication technologies

    Scientific, military, and commercial spacecraft

    NASA Space Transportation System (STS) (Space Shuttle) & International
Space Station (ISS)

    Constellations, formation-flying missions, and single nodes

    Nano-, micro-, and macro-satellites

    Relay satellites

    Buoys, balloons, and aircraft

    Planetary rovers

  Specific mission design approaches

  Lessons Learned

 End-to-End IMPLEMENTATIONS & CONCEPTS

  Instrument-to-Principal Investigator (PI) communication (transparent
networking)

   Data management (onboard and through all ground systems)

   Commanding (reliable protocols, blind commanding, stored commands)

   Contingency operations (one-way links, alternate ground stations)

   Security issues (commanding, data delivery, interoperability)

   Autonomy (end-to-end data delivery, email-based commanding)

   Protocol analysis, testing, and evaluation

 INFRASTRUCTURE -- CURRENT & FUTURE DEVELOPMENTS

  Onboard hardware/software (LANs, operating systems, etc.)

  Space-to-ground (transmitters/receivers, coding, framing systems)

  Space-to-space (transmitters/receivers, coding, framing systems)

  Ground systems (tracking station and data processing components)

  Security solutions (space-to-ground, ground-to-ground, space-to-space,
remote access)

  Enabling tools (messaging software, design tools, requirements capture)

  Migration from current to future infrastructures

  Protocol testing laboratories and processes

 End-to-End IMPLEMENTATIONS & CONCEPTS

  Crosslink comm and operations concepts for constellations and formation
flying missions.

  Dynamic ad hoc networking

  Efficient clock sync and time distribution both on-board,
inter-spacecraft, and between space and ground

      Call for Abstracts

      Selection of all contributed oral presentations is based on the
submitted abstracts.  An individual may be an author on more than one
submission.  A selection committee will determine which oral presentation to
accept, by considering quality and significance of the content as well as
its appropriateness to the subject and scope of the workshop.

      Submitters of non selected oral presentations will be invited to
contribute their submission as a poster.  Oral presentations and posters may
discuss or describe applications of commercial products/services, but must
be substantially more than advertisements in nature.

      International participants are welcome, as are participants from
governmental, private, academic, and commercial/industrial organizations.

      All submissions and presentations must adhere to relevant government
regulations regarding disclosure and distribution.  Submission will
constitute approval to publish in any way or in any venue (including the
Internet) deemed appropriate by the organizing committee. Such publication
will not imply endorsement by NASA, the US government, or any other entity.

      Submitted abstracts should be no more than two pages (8.5" x 11") in
length and must relate directly to the subject and scope of the workshop.
Abstracts should be submitted preferably as a Microsoft Word document, with
a list of the authors and their affiliations (including address), telephone
numbers, and email addresses.  Submit abstracts electronically via email to
the following address: [email-masked]

      Important Dates

      The workshop is planned for June 4-5, 2003.

            Abstracts due
           March 21, 2003

            Notification of acceptance
           April 11, 2003

            Confirmation by presenter
           April 25, 2003

            Agenda/Program
           May 2, 2003

            Presentations due electronically
           May 16, 2003

            Pre-registration deadline
           May 23, 2003