Subject: designated router election

From: Gerhard Gessler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 14:02:26 +0100

hi everybody,

the specification of PIM-DM (draft-ietf-pim-v2-dn-01.txt, Nov 3, 1998)
says in section "5.4 Designated Router Election" that the highest IP
addressed router becomes the designated router.

But the rfc of IGMPv2 (rfc 2236 from November 1997, state model on page
13) says that a Querier (the same as a designated router, I think)
becomes a Non Querier when it receives a query from a router with lower
IP address.

The same applys to draft_ietf_idmr_igmp_v3_00.txt. It says in section
"9. Security Considerations":
A forged Query message from a machine with a lower IP address than the
current Querier will cause Querier duties to be assigned to the
forger.......

I´m grateful for any comments or corrections.

   Gerhard

-- 
---------------------------------------------------
Gerhard Geßler

IABG mbH, Abteilung CC31
Einsteinstr. 20
85521 Ottobrunn

Tel. (089) 6088 3539
Fax: (089) 6088 2845

E-Mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 08:46:20 PST

The IGMP querier and the PIM designated router are seperate duties and
may legitimately be assigned to different routers.

  Bill