Subject: bootstrap msg contents

From: Desikan Saravanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:44:21 -0800

Hi All,

Why a BSR should advertise all the C-RPs in the bootstrap message,
instead of advertising only the single active RP?

It knows the priority of each C-RP for a given <Group,Mask>.
It can compute the value using the hash function.
So, it knows which C-RP is the active RP for that <Group,Mask>.
Can't it advertise the active RP alone in the bootstrap message?
If it does so, all the PIM routers do not have to use the hashing every time
to
check what is the active RP for the <Group,Mask>.
It saves space for storing all C-RPs and the time to do these hashings in
all non-BSR routers.

Am I missing anything?

Desikan

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 19:00:12 -0500 (EST)

> instead of advertising only the single active RP?

There can be multiple active RPs (for different groups), which can 
be useful for load balancing.

-Dave