Subject: RE: Question on ISI's implementation of PIM (sm/dm)

From: "Mohan, Ks.Ram (Ram), BNSVC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 16:11:06 -0500

I would be interested in knowing more about your "BGMP" testing, Rusty.
Interesting that someone is doing some work on BGMP, since at the recent
IPMI Summit, focus was entirely on M-BGP/MSDP as a solution for Inter-domain
Multicast Routing.

Good Luck. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 1999 3:46 PM
To: Sangeeta Mukherjee
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Question on ISI's implementation of PIM (sm/dm)

Sangeeta Mukherjee states:
> 
> 
> Hello,
> 
> Has anyone  done any intereoperability testing with the Cisco
> PIM and the ISI's implementations of PIM(sm/dm)?
> 
> Thanks in advance
> Sangeeta

yes, i did some pim-sm interop that was over a year ago.  c-rp, bsr,
registers, hello's.  i've just started another round of testing (with
bgmp), if i do run into any incompatabilities, i'll fix 'em :)

- rusty

---

From: John Meylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:18:49 -0800

> I would be interested in knowing more about your "BGMP" testing, Rusty.

I think this must be MBGP, since BGMP isn't available on a cisco now.

 John

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:21:32 -0800 (PST)

> IPMI Summit, focus was entirely on M-BGP/MSDP as a solution for Inter-domain

thanks! i hop to have my bgmp implementation running on cairn
(research network) by summer and hopefully other places we can find
volunteers.

the MSDP charter states MSDP as a "near-term" solution, and they do
have it running now.  i think there are alot of people with a more
skeptical/conservative "wait and see" attitude regarding bgmp.

hopefully, this implementation will encourage people to consider bgmp
more seriously.  anyway i'll be public when i do have reasonably
good "running code".

- rusty

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:29:35 -0800 (PST)

> I think this must be MBGP, since BGMP isn't available on a cisco now.

actually, the cisco i have is being used as an internal pim router
with my bgmp implementation running on border routers, using pim-sm
as the the m-igp (for at least one test AS).   so while i'm not
explicity doing pim testing, i will know (to a certain degree) if my
pim implementation is incompatible with cisco's :)

- rusty