Subject: Re: New PIM version 2 dense mode specification

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:02:43 -0800

>> 4. list of neighbors you've heard hellos from as encoded source addresses
>>    A 3-way handshake is desperately needed in PIM.
>
>We used to include a list of neighbors. But later we decided to take it
>away because hello timeout value was 105 seconds while hello interval is
>30 seconds and it seems not to buy us a lot. Do you have any specific
>issue for this need?

Asymmetric reachability - if RouterA can hear RouterB's Hellos, RA
will consider RB a PIM neighbor even if RB can't hear RA.  So RA will
send prunes, joins, etc. even though RB can't hear them.

  Bill

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 23:55:54 -0800 (PST)

>> send prunes, joins, etc. even though RB can't hear them.

    So what. Current behavior makes this work on unidirectional links. I
    wouldn't want to change this.

Dino