Subject: which is the longest match for (s,g)

From: liaohua <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:50:06 +0800

Hi  all:

    I have a question:

        RFC 2362 said (page 26, 3.4)
        "   a longest match of the source address, and an exact match of
the destination address in the data packet."

        What is "longest match" mean ? I think source would be a host
,and source must have a clear ip addr . Am I right ?

        Is the longest match means a mask ? how to use it ?Can someone
give me an example , thanks !

        :-)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:09:10 -0800 (PST)

> ,and source must have a clear ip addr . Am I right ?

in practice yes.

>         Is the longest match means a mask ?

yes. 

> how to use it ?Can someone give me an example , thanks !
> 
>         :-)

While spec supports the notion of aggregate groups/sources,  AFAIK in
practice only /0 (for *,g) or /32 is used for source addrs.  

- rusty