Subject: Draft on QoS-aware PIM-SM

From: "Subir K. Biswas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 13:21:02 -0400

The following I-D has been submitted to the IETF:

A QoS-Aware Routing Framework for PIM-SM Based IP-Multicast

S. K. Biswas, R. Izmailov and B. Rajagopalan
NEC USA Inc.

Abstract

This document describes a framework for QoS-aware multicast routing
   based on enhancements to PIM-SM. This framework has two components:
   the development of multicast tree computation schemes that account
   for heterogeneous receiver QoS requirements, and the incorporation
   of QoS capabilities into PIM-SM for establishing computed paths.
   The choice of PIM-SM is based on its ability to support
   receiver-initiated join, both shared and source-specific trees. Two
   decentralized tree computation schemes, TIQM and NUQM, are
   considered in this document, both requiring support from the
   underlying unicast routing scheme to acquire link and nodal resource
   availability information. Additionally, TIQM requires complete
   information at each router about the resource allocation in the
   network for the existing multicast tree. After a brief analysis of
   these two schemes, the incorporation of QoS awareness in PIM-SM with
   NUQM as its underlying route computation mechanism is presented. It
   is shown that with few extensions to its existing control syntaxes,
   PIM-SM can be successfully used for QoS integration. Finally, a Tree
   State Update (TSU) mechanism, which can be used for efficient and
   scalable dissemination of multicast tree state information, is
   proposed. It is shown that by using the proposed TSU protocol it is
   possible to partially alleviate the control overhead of TIQM.

Copies available at:

homepages.infoseek.com/~ipsolutions/draft-ietf-biswas-pim-sm-qos-00.txt