Subject: RE: Interop

From: Vishwanath Edavayyanaamath <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 09:58:18 -0600

Ai) Yes and No as it depends on ur implimentation. Generally multicast
routing here is interface specific. On serial link to avoid un-necessary
traffic SM is used and on broadcast lans DM is used. If I were to implement
I would have one task/process implemented as PIM and then had a
configuration choice to configure SM on serial and DM on ethr. SM again
introduces RP.

Aii) SIngle instace should suffice. But there are public codes which just
implement PIM-DM and PIM-SM seperatly.

Regards
vishwa

-----Original Message-----
From: Mani M [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 1999 6:54 AM
To: [email-masked]'; 'Dave Thaler'
Subject: Interop

The Draft draft-thaler-multicast-interop-p3.txt says
"The MBR consists of two or more active multicast routing components, each
running an instance of multicast routing protocol"

(i) Applying the above statement specifically to interop between SM and DM.
does it mean that two independent tasks run in SM and DM mode respectively ?

(ii) In cases where a the multicast router is a domain router where all the
interfaces are configured in eiether SM mode or DM mode, does an independent
instance(task) of a protocol run in each interface or a single
instance(task) takes care of all interfaces.

Thanks
Mani

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 12:38:13 -0800 (PST)

After reading vishwa's response, I see that I misinterpreted 
question (ii).  I had interpreted it as either all the interfaces
configured as DM, or else all the interfaces configured as SM.

If you configure some as DM and some as SM, this document
applies to the case where there is one DM component owning
the DM interfaces, and one SM component owning the SM interfaces.

-Dave