Subject: PIM-SMv2 Query on shutdown and Triggered Updates

From: Renu Agarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 17:39:12 +0530

Hi,

I have following queries  on PIM-SMv2 draft:
-The PIM-SM v2 draft nowhere specifies the mechanism of shutdown and
informing its neighbors.

How does a PIM-SM router informs its neighbor that it is going down?
Should it send out Prune message for all (*, G) and (S, G) entries?
In that case how does its downstream neighbors shall come to know about
it as Prune message is sent out only to its RPF neighbor? 
This could be really a problem if the router remains up but only the
PIM-SM protocol goes down. In this case even the unicast routing
protocol shall not be able to discover it.

The only other way a neighbor router shall come to know because of hello
holdtime expiry and that will be too late.

- If a router is candidate RP and the operator at run time changes its
configuration to normal router (NON candidate RP) then how this should
be informed to the BSR? One possible way is to include the NULL group
address prefix in it. Is it allowed?

- If there is a change in the group prefix of a C-RP Should the router
send out a triggered C-RP advertisement or wait for the periodic C-RP
advertisement to expire? Draft does not mention anything on it? Or
should it left to the implementation?

Replies are welcome.

Thanks & Regards,
Renu
___________________________________________________________
Renu Agarwal		E-mail: mailto:[email-masked]
Ficon Technology 	Web   : http://www.ficon-tech.com
___________________________________________________________