Subject: MIB information

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 12:26:49 +0530

Hi,
        I want to inquire what minimum information regarding the existence of
multicast groups is to be maintained by an entity to help in forwarding the
database. Is the information as
              < Src. address, Group address, incoming i/f, outgoing i/fs >
enough or are there some more objects which need to be maintained.

        My second question is that can the information maintained is different
for different multicast protocols or one can extract a common set of objects to
be maintained, so that the implementation of the database is independent of the
existing routing protocol.

Atul

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 08:09:21 -0800 (PST)

> enough or are there some more objects which need to be maintained.

There is other information which really ought to be maintained
(counters, etc used for debugging, and so forth).  These objects are
in the MIBs in the non-optional conformance groups.

> for different multicast protocols or one can extract a common set of objects 
> to be maintained, so that the implementation of the database is independent
> of the existing routing protocol.

The common set of objects is in the Multicst MIB.
The protocol-specific objects are in the protocol-specific MIBs

-Dave