Subject: C-RP configuration in PIM-SM

From: Narayanan Vidya-CVN065 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:49:44 -0600

Hi,
Is there anything that prevents one router to be configured as more than one
candidate RP, if it has more than one IP address? That is, can two ethernet
ports, for example, be configured as C-RPs for same/different multicast
group ranges? I didn't notice anything in the RFC that would prevent this
from working. Is this strictly implementation specific or can this not be
done for some reason? 

Thanks,
Vidya

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 15:38:53 -0800 (PST)

> from working. Is this strictly implementation specific or can this not be

i think this is implementation specific.  i don't see that it'll break 
the protocol.  although i don't see a good reason to do it, off the
top-o-my head.

- rusty

---

From: Nair Venugopal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:18:51 -0800 (PST)

> from working. Is this strictly implementation specific or can this not be

I think it is implementation specific. The router would have to originate
separate Candidate-RP advertisements for each C-RP IP address that belongs
to it. The C-RP packet format permits the specification of only one C-RP
IP address per packet. 

--Venu

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Nair Venugopal  --- [email-masked] --- 3Com WAP Engineering