Subject: RE: WG Last Call?

From: "Shekhar, Ravi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 11:11:05 -0500

> 2. We can leave the things as it is (all interfaces being part of the
> shared tree) and just stop the traffic within the router from 
> going back
> to the sourcing iif by creating a (S,G) entry with null 
> oif-list. 

  I dont understand how creating SG with null oif will achieve this.

  Best-match for data/control packets for (S, G) will break in this case. 
  It will match this (S, G) entry with null oif for data/control packets 
  instead of <*, G>. As a result data from RP tree will not get forwarded 
  either (wrong-iif/no-oif).
     If we manage to not include this <S, G> in the result of 
  best-match, and instead match <*, G>, then data from sourcing subnet 
  will match <*, G> too and will cause an assert (data arriving on oif 
  of <*, G>).
    
  If one wants to forward the data from the RP, probably creating 
  an SG-RPT entry with sourcing-subnet intf removed from the oif list 
  is a cleaner solution. Rest of the things follow as they are including
  best-match/recving an SPT-join for <S, G> etc. 
  
> 
> RFC 2362, 3.3.1, depicts option 1, I dont know how/why we are 
> rethinking
> it.

  Isnt only the DR case covered in the draft?

  Regards.
  - Ravi Shekhar.

---

From: "Parantap Lahiri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 11:14:25 -0500

Ravi, I think you are correct. - Parantap

----- Original Message -----
From: Shekhar, Ravi <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 1999 11:11 AM
Subject: RE: WG Last Call?

  Best-match for data/control packets for (S, G) will break in this
case.
  It will match this (S, G) entry with null oif for data/control packets
  instead of <*, G>. As a result data from RP tree will not get
forwarded
  either (wrong-iif/no-oif).
     If we manage to not include this <S, G> in the result of
  best-match, and instead match <*, G>, then data from sourcing subnet
  will match <*, G> too and will cause an assert (data arriving on oif
  of <*, G>).

  Regards.
  - Ravi Shekhar.