Subject: RE: Who implements PIM-SM v2 BSR?

From: Chris Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:55:37 -0800

Wind River implements pim-sm bootstrap router.  I don't have details on what
changes are proposed and how that will impact our product.  
Regards-
Chris
 
Christopher J. Hall
Software Development Engineer
Wind River Systems  
949.442.2066
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Handley [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 10:44 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Who implements PIM-SM v2 BSR?

We're in the process of revising the BSR specification from the new
PIM spec to incorporate the fixes that we discussed at the San Diego
IETF to allow BSR to work properly with Admin Scoping.

The problem that's arisen is that the nice clean mechanism we
discussed turns out not to be completely backward compatible with the
BSR specification in RFC 2362.  If you have no admin scope zones in
place, then the new rules work fine (they're basically the same as the
old ones).  But if you wish to use BSR with admin scope zones, you
need to upgrade *all* the routers within the scope zone to use the new
mechanism.

So, my question is who currently implements and/or uses the BSR
mechanism?  Do we care about this particular compatibility issue,
given that BSR didn't work at all with admin scoping before?

I should say that we do have a much more ugly alternative solution
that is backward compatible, but the uglyness is likely to make it
significantly harder to get right.

Cheers,
	Mark

---

From: Desikan Saravanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:20:01 -0800

Extreme implements BSR as well as static RPs
not sure any customer using it as BSR.

Desikan
Extreme Networks

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Handley [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 10:44 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Who implements PIM-SM v2 BSR?

Cheers,
	Mark

---

From: "Sri Kopalle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:28:21 -0800

Nortel implements BSR mechanism
- Sri

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Handley [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 10:44 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Who implements PIM-SM v2 BSR?

Cheers,
	Mark

---

From: Ravi Puvvala <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:53:11 -0800

Nokia supports the BSR mechanism in our PIM-SM implementation. But 
we don't allow the user to currently set admin scope (TTL) for the 
BSR packets. 

Ravi