Subject: Doubt on Assert Mechanism

From: "yahya pareed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:11:06 +0530

Hi,

I had one doubt regarding Assert Mechanism - What will happen to the
data packets, which are received during the time period of triggering
Assert Mechanism to the electing of  Assert Winner?

eg:- Router A receives a data packet in its outgoing interface and
triggers assert by assuming itself as the Assert Winner. Another router
B on the same LAN also receives these data to be forwarded.
What if some data packet arrives, before the assert message reaches B from
A.
Will both A & B still forward the packets?

thanks & regards,
Yahya

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 09:41:19 -0800

Yes, duplicates will still flow while the Assert mechanism elects
a forwarder.  Asserts don't prevent duplicates, they just resolve
to a single forwarder after duplicates appear.

  Bill