Subject: RE: PIM BSR Spec

From: "Sundeep Singatwaria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 18:28:21 -0700

Mark, I have a enhancement request to the current draft. 

---------
From RFC ->

When a C-RP is being shut down, it SHOULD immediately send a C-RP-Adv to
the BSR for each scope for which it is currently serving as an RP; the
HoldTime in this C-RP-Adv message should be zero.  The BSR will then
immediately time out the C-RP and generate a new BSR message removing
the shut down RP from the RPset.

---------------

Doing this will make all senders trasmit their register messages to the new
RP at roughly the same time. This can cause a hell lot of traffic at the new

RP - if it happens to be one for all senders. Is this an implementation
issue 
or can we fix it in the RFC  ?

Sundeep

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Handley [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2001 1:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: New PIM SM and PIM BSR Spec

We've submitted a new version of the PIM SM spec and the PIM BSR spec
to the I-D archive - they'll appear there in due course.

In the meantime they can also be found at:
  http://www.aciri.org/mjh/pim.html

The BSR spec has been changed to reflect the discussion at the last
IETF.  In particular, the auto-configuration of BSRs with information
about admin scope zones has been replaced with manual configuration of
BSRs.  The other main changes to the BSR spec are:

 - new section explaining semantic fragmentation of Boootstrap Messages.
  
 - new security considerations section.

The PIM-SM spec incorporates quite a large number of small changes,
corrections and clarifications, and the spec has also gained a
security considerations section.

Neither spec's security considerations section should be considered
complete at this stage.

Cheers,
	Mark