Subject: Re: [pim] Cisco BSR message in IOS 12.0

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 23:04:47 -0500 (EST)

hi all,

I also have some doubt in the way BSR message is built by CISCO IOS 12.0

I guess it advertises the hold time of the RP with the amount of time remaining in the BootStrap Router for that RP. Rather than advertising it with a hold time that is supposed to be copied from the CRP message.

Is the way in wchich the cisco router builds the BSR message correct? I dont find reasons to feel it is correct.

can ne one clear my doubt.

thanks

rajesh.

--- On Thu 03/07, Katta Sambasivarao wrote:

> Hi,

> I too experienced some unexpected behaviour by CISCO routers.

> The IOS 12.0 (14) ST - Does not refresh upstream (S,G) states even

> when there are downstream (S,G) states.

> The Version 12.2(3), when receives (S,G,Rpt) join to cancel a

> (S,G,Rpt) prune, the behaviour is odd like it sends (S,G) join 3

> times in 3 seconds....and so on...

> It will be of great help if someone can tell us which IOS version

> is stable and predictable.

> thanks,

> Katta

> On Fri, 08 Mar 2002 Matt Almgren wrote :

> >After running several tests with Cisco and other routers, and by

> >following

> >the draft v3, I have noticed a few things that Cisco is not doing

> >correctly.

> >I am curious if this is the correct behavior, or if Cisco is just

> >not

> >following the draft, or if a newer release of IOS will correct

> >these issues:

> >1. Cisco does not send an assert cancel message when he receives

> >a Prune

> >(S,G) or (*,G) for the group to which he is Assert Winner for.

> >2. When Cisco is assert winner, he does not sent an Assert

> >message every 177

> >seconds.

> >According to the draft, the first one I believe must be done.

> >However, the

> >second one is optional...the word "should" is used to

> explain the

> >expire

> >timer.

> >I am currently testing this with:

> >IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IS-M), Version 12.1(6), RELEASE

> >SOFTWARE

> >(fc1)

> >Any feedback on Cisco behavior would be appreciated.

> >Thanks - Matt

> > \\\|///

> > \\ - - //

> > ( @ @ )

> > /------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo------------\

> > | Matt Almgren |

> > | PLURIS, INC. |

> > | [email-masked] |

> > | (408) 861-4216 |

> > \------------------------Oooo---------/

> > oooO ( )

> > ( ) ) /

> > \ ( (_/

> > \_)

> >_______________________________________________

> >pim mailing list

> >[email-masked]

> >http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim

> _______________________________________________

> pim mailing list

> [email-masked]

> http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: John Zwiebel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:09:46 -0800

May I suggest that if you want current PIM code, you all stop using
12.0.  That version will -never- be upgraded to the new spec.  What you
are asking is to have Windows XP capability in Windows 3.0.  It isn't 
going
to happen.

If you want to carry on interop testing against 12.0, that is
something else, but IMHO, that discussion still doesn't belong on this
mail list.

I have a 12.1 version that is nearly 2 years old meaning 12.0
has to be at least 3 if not 4 years old.

Now, the fact that you may not be able to get a 12.2 version that loads
into the memory available on your router, or for that matter one that
works, that is also a different problem.    But it certainly isn't 
"fair" to beat up
Cisco's PIM while testing something that is 4 years old.  Most of you
don't have code that's 4 years old.

On Sunday, March 17, 2002, at 08:04 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> I guess it advertises the hold time of the RP with the amount of time 
> remaining in the BootStrap Router for that RP. Rather than advertising 
> it with a hold time that is supposed to be copied from the CRP message.

>
> _______________________________________________ pim mailing list 
> [email-masked] 
> http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim _______________________________________________ 
> Pim-external mailing list [email-masked] 
> http://mailist.procket.com/mailman/listinfo/pim-external