Subject: [pim] PIM mailing list administrative changes

From: Pavlin Radoslavov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:18:20 -0800

Recently there have been some administrative changes to the PIM
mailing list:

 * The mailing list managing software has been moved from "majordomo"
   to "mailman" (thanks to the generous folks at USC netlab). One of
   the advantages of "mailman" is that now each subscriber can manage
   its own preferences (e.g. digest email, etc).
   Each subscriber should have received its own password to access
   its subscription through a Web interface:

   http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim/

 * The new ML archive (since January 23th) has Web interface:
   http://netweb.usc.edu/pipermail/pim/

   Hopefully, in the future there will be a search engine as well.

 * The old [email-masked] and
   [email-masked] MLs do not exist anymore.
   All the subscribers of those lists were moved to
   [email-masked] (modulo removed duplicates).
   If you were on one of those lists and do NOT want to be on
   [email-masked], please unsubsribe using the Web interface,
   or send email to [email-masked] with the following
   in the body of the email:
   
      unsubscribe <password> [address]

  * "mailman" automatically handles email bounces, so if someone's
    email becomes invalid, after 10 days it will be automatically
    removed from the mailing list. So if you have mail problems you
    didn't fix for that long, it is your responsibility to fix those
    problems and re-subscribe to the list.

  * As an experiment, the posting to the mailing list now is
    subsribers-only. This means that: 

    (a) No more spam email!!
     BUT
    (b) If a subscriber sends email from a different account, the
     email will be queued for approval by the ML administrator(s).
     AND
    (c) If a non-subscriber sends a legitimate email to the list,
     that email will also be queued for approval.

     Hopefully, the approval would be relatively fast, but if
     it turns-out to be too much overhead, the ML would become again
     open for anyone to post to it.

Happy PIM discussions!

Pavlin
_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim