Subject: [pim] Upstream Neighbor Address on p-to-p links

From: Pavlin Radoslavov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:35:06 -0800

The PIM-SM spec says that for Join/Prune messages (e.g.,
see page 32 in the PS version of the 05 draft):

"On unnumbered interfaces on point-to-point links, the router's address
should be the same as the source address it chose for the Hello message
it sent over that interface.  However on point-to-point links we also
recommend that PIM messages with a destination address of all zeros are
also accepted."

The "all zeros" address refers to the destination address in the IP
packet, but the spec doesn't say anything about the Upstream
Neighbor Address in the Join/Prune messages.

Hence, the question is what existing PIM-SM implementations do on
p-to-p interfaces regarding the Upstream Neighbor Address? E.g., if
it is also set to all zeros, and then the receiving side accepts it,
then this behavior probably should be added to the spec.

Thanks,
Pavlin
_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim