Subject: Re: [pim] draft-wijnands-pim-proxy

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 23:53:20 -0700

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 07:57:30AM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> > What "other category level" do you mean ? There is nothing else than
> > standards track or RFC editor contributions (although rfc3668
> > fails to mention "Historic" in 1.f).
> 
> Informational or Experimental.

Yeah well, but those could be achieved just via the RFC editor contribution
process. I do not think it is too unreasonable to expect vendors to share their
investment into technology primarily when it goes along with the benefit
of standardisation. But look into the IPR disclosure for RGMP as an example
that Cisco does not stop there.

> Yes, but if the vendors have been persuaded by the potential users to 
> implement X, the vendors could then say that they want X.

Almost. Customers are asking to have certain functions, like BGP free core,
or IP multicast support for all rfc2547bis section 10 options, and
to my knowledge the proposal from Arjen and Ice is the only one that
tackles this.

> IMHO, either the people from the vendor community (outside of Cisco :)
> need to step up and say "we want this", or a significant number of 
> operators need to do that.

Or we could have the working group make the decision in the way
it has always been made ;-))

> If you need to have BGP for IP unicast, it doesn't really matter if
> you also have it for multicast -- there's no operational
> simplification, and that was my point -- if you don't do MPLS,
> BGP-free core [for multicast] doesn't seem provide real benefits only
> complexity because you have two different topologies.

Yepp, sory, forgot to mention that of course you can have technologies
like L2TPv3 type solutions to go along with IP multicast to achieve
a pure IP core network solution without native MPLS for either unicast
or multicast.

Cheers
	Toerless

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim