Subject: [pim] PIM-SM help needed

From: "Ashish Karpe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 18:12:28 +0530

hi all,
        if we want to configure PIM-SM using software router what kind
of minimum setup do we require to just check how it works. Can it be
done using Virtual Network or physical network is necessary ? If yes
which software is commonly used for this propose.

please reply,
Ashish

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: Nidhi Bhaskar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 15:41:07 -0700 (PDT)

> which software is commonly used for this propose.

IIRC, ISI's network simulator used to have a PIM-SM implementation. I
don't have any current information about whether it is still supported
or is compliant with the latest rfc. You can probably find out more
at:

http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/

Nidhi.

---

From: JW Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 20:42:49 -0400

The XORP project (www.xorp.org) has developed a software package that 
manages various routing protocols, including PIM-SM.  I know that it 
works well with real interfaces, because my graduate student used it as 
the basis for his project.  I do not know if it supports virtual 
interfaces.  This package runs under a variety of operating systems.  
(You can look at the web pages to find details.)  From my student's 
comments, XORP appears to contain a good implementation of PIM-SM.

Note that this is an actual implementation, not part of a simulation 
such as the IIRC discussed by Nidhi Bashar.  Also, since the XORP 
project is being actively worked on, the implementation of PIM-SM is 
probably more likely to be up-to-date with the latest spec.

J.W. Atwood

-- 

Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Professor Emeritus                fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email: [email-masked]
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http: //www.cse.Concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8