Subject: [pim] PIM DM - AckPending state

From: Kannan K S <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:41:39 +0800

Hi all,

     I have a doubt in PIM DM. Consider the router's upstream state is
AckPending and now it receives data on the RPF interface towards source,
should the upstream state should move to Forwarding? 

Regards,

Kannan. 

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: "Nicholas, Jonathan - ACD " <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 08:07:13 -0400

No, but it probably doesn't matter.
 
The message forwarding rules are the same for the Graft Ack and
Forwarding states, so message processing will be the same.  
 
However, there is an interaction between Grafts and Asserts that
shouldn't be ignored.  Given proper behaviour, what you discribe should
only be happening in a transitory case where either (A) the Graft Ack
was lost or (B) the upstream neighbor changed.  
 
In the case of (A), a new Graft Ack will be received after the next
Graft, and the state will transition to forwarding.  
 
In the case of (B), one should see Assert messages to resolve the issue
of the upstream neighbor.  It is possible that an Assert message was
lost, and the next Graft message should provoke a new set of Assert
messages to resolve who the upstream neighbor is.
 
Jonathan Nicholas

________________________________

	From: Kannan K S [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 5:42 AM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [pim] PIM DM - AckPending state

	Hi all,

	     I have a doubt in PIM DM. Consider the router's upstream
state is AckPending and now it receives data on the RPF interface
towards source, should the upstream state should move to Forwarding? 

	Regards,

	Kannan. 

************************************
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are proprietary and intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have
received this e-mail in error please notify the sender. Please note that any views
or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of ITT, Inc. The recipient should check
this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts
no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.
************************************