Subject: Re: [pim] New PIM Charter

From: Nidhi Bhaskar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:59:22 -0700 (PDT)

>Sorry if I was unclear by not mentioning Anycast RP|PIM with static
>RP config, as I assumed this would be obvious.  Certainly, you can
>use Anycast with AutoRP/BSR, but no one does that and it wouldn't
>really buy you anything.  Since the RP address is anycast, there is
>no real benefit to having a dynamic one.

Use of Anycast RP with Auto-RP is pretty common in IPv4. I suspect the
same will be applicable to Anycast RP with BSR once IPv6 sees wider
deployment. For scoping, again, its a pretty important feature in some
of the multicast deployments I've seen.

Nidhi.

>As for scoping, I would question the benefit and usefulness.  The
>landscape of mcast is littered with lots of complex mechanisms and
>protocols that took years to develop that no one used.  BSR scoping
>would seem to fit that description.  As another example, in AMT it
>was eventually agreed that the costs of complexity of allowing
>sources behind gateways was not worth the benefit, so the effort was
>largely abandoned.

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim