Subject: Re: [pim] Query about Bootstrap Message

From: Subinoy Das <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 23:45:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Subinoy,

> Assume the case when one C-RP send 10 groups in one C-RP-Adv message
> with priority 10, after that it send 9 groups in C-RP-Adv with
> priority 20. So, E-BSR has the C-RP with priority 20 for 9 groups and
> same C-RP with priority 10 for one group. (Holdtime is also
> different). If the E-BSR include all group-to-C-RP mappings then in a
> BSM we can see one C-RP has different priority for different group.
> Is it possible?

    No. Did you see the following paragraphs in section 3.3 the draft:

If the mapping is not already part of the C-RP-Set, it is added to the
C-RP-Set and the associated Group-to-C-RP mapping Expiry Timer (CGET) is
initialized to the holdtime from the C-RP-Adv message.  Its priority is
set to the Priority from the C-RP-Adv message.

If the mapping is already part of the C-RP-Set, it is updated with the
Priority from the C-RP-Adv message and its associated CGET is reset to
the holdtime from the C-RP-Adv message.  If the holdtime is zero, the
mapping is immediately removed from the C-RP-Set.

<<<

    In your case, as per second paragraph, RP priority and Holdtime is
updated from C-RP advertisement for the 9 group-prefix that are
available in the C-RP-Adv message. As the 10th group-prefix in not
available in the C-RP-Adv message, the C-RP set will be available only
till its "Group-to-C-RP mapping Expiry Timer (CGET)" expires and after
that it will be removed.

    IIRC, some implementation do remove the 10th group-prefix when they
do not find it in the C-RP-Adv message.

    Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Bharat

Hi,

Yes, if we remove the 10th group-prefex then the BSM does not contain any C-RP having different priority for different group.
Otherwise, if BSM is sent before CGET expires then there is a chance that BSM has C-RPs with different priority and holdtime for different group.
In another way, if a C-RP wants to reduce its group count then it may send a C-RP-Adv containing the groups it wants to reduce with holdtime zero. This also can be implemented to reduce the overhead of E-BSR.

Thanks,
Subinoy

____________________________________________________________________________________Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.
http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow  

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim