Subject: [pim] Doubts in Assert State Machine in RFC 3973

From: "sandeep kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:40:44 +0530

Hi,

RFC 3973, Section 4.6.4.2 Transitions from winner state

Receive Preferred Assert or State Refresh
       An (S,G) Assert or State Refresh is received that has a better
       metric than this router's metric for S on interface I.  The
       Assert state machine MUST transition to "I am Assert Loser" state
       and store the new Assert Winner's address and metric.  If the
       metric was received in an Assert, the router MUST set the Assert
       Timer (AT(S,G,I)) to Assert_Time.  If the metric was received in
       a State Refresh, the router MUST set the Assert Timer (AT(S,G,I))
       to three times the State Refresh Interval.  The router MUST also

       multicast a Prune(S,G) to the Assert winner, with a Prune Hold
       Time equal to the Assert Timer, and evaluate any changes in its
       Upstream(S,G) state machine.
In the above paragraph i have following doubt.

1) Is the interface I where router receive Preffered Assert is upstream or
downstream, if on upstream also in which case it is possible.
Because a router which is downstream to some other router (Multi access LAN)
cannot be Assert Winner.

2) Is the above mean that whether the router is in multi-access LAN or not
we have to maintain Assert State on the interface.
_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim