Subject: [pim] IP address in the Hello for draft-ietf-pim-port-00.txt

From: Renwei Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 11:12:30 -0700

In draft-ietf-pim-port-00.txt, Section 4 seems to suggest the IP address of
the interface, on which Hello and later TCP/SCTP packets are sent, are used.
It might be better to make a distinction between such an IP address and
transport address. The transport address is typically a loopback address or
a router ID. The transport address should be used to determine which side
will do active transport open instead of the interface IP address.

For example, suppose that I have two links between two routers. On one
router, one link has a lower IP address but the other link has a higher IP
address. This would mean that the same router will do active open on one
link and do the passive open on the other link, which doesn't seem
intuitively all right although I could accept it. 

By the way, for the example above, the draft should also talk about whether
or not they will share the same TCP port for two links between the two
routers.

Maybe this problem has been discussed, but I was not able to find them.

Regards,

Renwei

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim