Subject: [pim] RFC 5384 on The Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) Join Attribute Format

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 13:41:59 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5384

        Title:      The Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) 
                    Join Attribute Format 
        Author:     A. Boers, I. Wijnands, E. Rosen
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       November 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 22330
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pim-join-attributes-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5384.txt

A "Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode" Join message sent by
a given node identifies one or more multicast distribution trees that
that node wishes to join.  Each tree is identified by the combination
of a multicast group address and a source address (where the source
address is possibly a "wild card").  Under certain conditions it can
be useful, when joining a tree, to specify additional information
related to the construction of the tree.  However, there has been no
way to do so until now.  This document describes a modification of the Join message that allows a node to associate attributes with a particular tree.  The attributes are encoded in Type-Length-Value format.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Protocol Independent Multicast Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim