Subject: [pim] PIM state machine queries with network layout diagram with proper diagram

From: "Nikhil Ninan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:38:25 -0000

Hello all,

               Sorry about the previous attachment. The diagram wasn't saved
properly. I had emailed the group last week with a query with regard to the
PIM state machine. I was asked to send a network layout diagram to the group
and give further details of the PIM code used. I have attached the layout of
the test-bed along with this email. I should add that the test-bed is
connected to the Internet through one of the ports (not shown) on the RP.
All the routers used in the test-bed are from Cisco nothing against juniper
routers, just that these were the ones that I could get my hands on.

             I have enabled PIM debug on the RP and source's DR monitor
state changes during the PIM Register process. Everything seems to be fine,
i.e. I receive content at the receiver and can see all PIM messages on the
various subnets but I have a query. Why the following messages were shown at
the RP and source's DR respectively,

At Source's DR,

                PIM(0): Building Periodic Join/Prune message for 224.10.10.1

At RP,

Building Periodic (*,G) Join / (S,G,RP-bit) Prune message for 224.10.10.1

These messages are shown periodically after the initial messages about
sending, receiving register and register-stop messages. But I don't see any
PIM messages on subnets with regard to the two messages mentioned above on
the physical interfaces which I am monitoring using PCs. Any info would be
great.

Cheers

Nikhil