Subject: [pim] Protocol Action: 'Authentication and Confidentiality in PIM-SM Link-local Messages' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:22:34 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Authentication and Confidentiality in PIM-SM Link-local Messages '
   <draft-ietf-pim-sm-linklocal-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Protocol Independent Multicast Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pim-sm-linklocal-10.txt

Technical Summary

  RFC 4601 mandates the use of IPsec to ensure authentication of the
  link-local messages in the Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse
  Mode (PIM-SM) routing protocol. This document specifies mechanisms
  to authenticate the PIM-SM link-local messages using the IP security
  (IPsec) Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) or (optionally) the
  Authentication Header (AH). It specifies optional mechanisms to
  provide confidentiality using the ESP. Manual keying is specified as
  the mandatory and default group key management solution. To deal
  with issues of scalability and security that exist with manual
  keying, an optional support for automated group key management
  mechanism is provided. However, the procedures for implementing
  automated group key management are left to other documents. This
  document updates RFC 4601.

Working Group Summary

  Due to limited IPsec expertise in the PIM WG, there was limited
  input from the WG on this document.

Document Quality

  Two independent implementations are planned for completion in the 
  second half of 2009. 

  The document had substantial improvements from a SecDir review by
  Brian Weis.

  The responsible AD gave a detailed review, and the document has been
  updated.

Personnel

   Stig Venaas ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd.
   Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Responsible AD.