Subject: [pim] RFC 5796 on Authentication and Confidentiality in Protocol Independent Multicast Sparse Mode (PIM-SM) Link-Local Messages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:19:03 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5796

        Title:      Authentication and Confidentiality in Protocol 
                    Independent Multicast Sparse Mode (PIM-SM) Link-Local 
                    Messages 
        Author:     W. Atwood, S. Islam,
                    M. Siami
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       March 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 45442
        Updates:    RFC4601

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pim-sm-linklocal-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5796.txt

RFC 4601 mandates the use of IPsec to ensure authentication of the
link-local messages in the Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse
Mode (PIM-SM) routing protocol.  This document specifies mechanisms
to authenticate the PIM-SM link-local messages using the IP security
(IPsec) Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) or (optionally) the
Authentication Header (AH).  It specifies optional mechanisms to
provide confidentiality using the ESP.  Manual keying is specified as
the mandatory and default group key management solution.  To deal
with issues of scalability and security that exist with manual
keying, optional support for an automated group key management
mechanism is provided.  However, the procedures for implementing
automated group key management are left to other documents.  This
document updates RFC 4601.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Protocol Independent Multicast Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC