Subject: [pim] I-D Action:draft-ietf-pim-registry-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 16:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Protocol Independent Multicast Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : A Registry for PIM Message Types
	Author(s)       : S. Venaas
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pim-registry-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2010-05-04

This document provides instructions to IANA for the creation of a
registry for PIM message types.  It specifies initial content of the
registry based on existing RFCs specifying PIM message types.  It
also specifies a procedure for registering new types.

In addition to this, one message type is reserved, and may be used
for a future extension of the message type space.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pim-registry-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 11:15:26 -0700

Hi

In Anaheim there appeared to be consensus for taking
draft-ietf-pim-registry-00.txt to wglc.

However, we also discussed whether there should be a
reserved PIM message type for experimental use. This is
not in the current draft, but could be added if the wg
wants.

I think before moving on with the draft, we should see
if there is consensus one way or the other for reserving
an experimental type.

So please comment whether you think it's a good idea.

Before you comment, please see BCP82/RFC3692:
"Assigning Experimental and Testing Numbers Considered Useful"
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3692

and consider whether this is useful for PIM. Note that as it
says, even a single experimental value may have some uses.

Stig

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 11:04:20 -0700

> draft-ietf-pim-registry-00.txt to wglc.

It would have been nice to get some input on this. Can
you please let me know whether you think the draft is
ready for wglc?

Or, should we reserve a type for experimental use, or
any other changes?

Stig

> _______________________________________________
> pim mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim