Subject: [pim] [PIM] need clarification on prune echo

From: byungki lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 05:27:23 +0900

Hi,

I need clarification on receiving PIM prune echo behavior. When upstream
router (R1) echoes prune message from one spoke (R2-1) to the other (R2-2),
should it change source address as R1 interface to meet the requirement
below?

4.5.  PIM Join/Prune Messages

In general, a PIM Join/Prune message should only be accepted for processing
if it comes from a known PIM neighbor.  A PIM router hears about PIM
neighbors through PIM Hello messages.  If a router receives a Join/Prune
message from a particular IP source address and it has not seen a PIM Hello
message from that source address, then the Join/Prune message SHOULD be
discarded without further processing.

I believe so, otherwise, R2 should discard that "echoed" prune message
because that message is not coming from it's PIM neighbor.

Please clarify...

Regards,

Byung