Subject: [pim] release of a igmp/mld proxy

From: Sebastian Woelke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:48:08 +0100

Hi,

I would like to announce a new version of the mcproxy. It can be 
downloaded from our project page (http://mcproxy.realmv6.org/).
The mcproxy complies the IGMP/MLD proxy standard (RFC 4605) and 
supports the group membership protocols IGMPv3 and MLDv2 as well.
In additional it meets the requirements of the multicast source and 
listener support in proxy mobile IPv6 
(draft-ietf-multimob-pmipv6-source-06 and RFC 6224).

Key features:
  - supports IPv4 (IGMPv3)
  - supports IPv6 (MLDv2)
  - can be instantiated multiple times
  - dynamically configurable at runtime
  - can be configured to peer data between its instances
  - supports multiple upstreams

For further questions and comments don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 07:55:07 -0800

Nice!

Some questions:

Q1: I am totally not up to date on the freeware linux development side. How does
this mcproxy compare to any other linux software modules with which to build
eg: a linux router for multicast (what other options in SW are available ?).

Q2: Any existing or future plans to incude this into common linux router
distributions - DD-WRT or the like ?

Q3: How much will the implementation protect against killing SSM by
ASM receivers ? Aka: If  your proxy receives an IGMPv3 INCLUDE(S,G1)
membership from host 1 and an IGMPv3 EXCLUDE({},G1) from host 2, what
will it send out on the upstream interface ?

Cheers
Toerless Eckert

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 04:48:08PM +0100, Sebastian Woelke wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> pim mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: Sebastian Woelke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 04:43:12 +0100

hi,

> eg: a linux router for multicast (what other options in SW are 

There are two notable linux multicast proxies:
igmpproxy (http://sourceforge.net/projects/igmpproxy):
  - supports IGMPv2
  - uses the multicast routing table of the linux kernel

ecmh (http://sourceforge.net/p/ecmh):
  - supports MLDv1/2
  - independent of the linux kernel via userspace routing

igmpproxy doesn't support multiple instances and missing IGMPv3.
And ecmh only supports the slower userspace routing.

> distributions - DD-WRT or the like ?

The mcproxy is developed and tested only on ubuntu, but yes I want to 
porting it to the more relevant distributions in this field (OpenWRT, 
DD-WRT).

> will it send out on the upstream interface ?

Very interesting question, I never thought about this problem. So the 
current version would sends unaware of any protection the report 
EXCLUDE({},G1) to the upstream.
But I think I could update the proxy in the following way:
Currently it is possible to define filter rules, for example “forward 
only data of the channel (S,G1) to the downstream interface eth0 and 
ignore all other data”. In this case, if the proxy receives an IGMPv3 
EXCLUDE({}, G1) on the downstream interface eth0, it could be easily 
converted to the report INCLUDE(S,G1).

Kind regards,
Sebastian

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 00:11:11 -0800

Thanks, Sebastian, sounds good!

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 04:43:12AM +0100, Sebastian Woelke wrote:
> Currently it is possible to define filter rules, for example ???forward 
> ignore all other data???. In this case, if the proxy receives an IGMPv3 

-- 
---
Toerless Eckert, [email-masked]
Cisco NSSTG Systems & Technology Architecture
SDN: Let me play with the network, mommy!