Subject: [pim] Experimental code points in Join Attributes registry

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 15:14:11 -0000

Hi,

While discussing some stuff with another AD (young Brian Haberman, to be
precise) we noticed that the Join Attributes registry
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/pim-parameters/pim-parameters.xhtml#pim-paramet
ers-2) has all 64 code points tagged "IETF review". 

It seemed to us that it would be very sensible to allocate 2 or 4 of the code
points as Experimental to allow experiments to be carried out without needing
early or permanent allocations. noting that the rate of consumption of code
points in this registry has not been high.

Alternatively, we could have a few marked as Private Use if that seems more
consistent with the other registries.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Adrian

---

From: William Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 21:11:01 -0500

Looking at the entire registry:

Reserved for private use
65001-65535 PIM-Hello Options
251-255     PIM Address Family

Experimental
65532-65535 PORT Message Types
65532-65535 PORT Option Types

Reserved (for extension of type space)
15          PIM Message Types

Nothing assigned for flexibility
            PIM Join Attribute Types
            Encoded-Source Address Encoding Type Field

I suggest that we should allocate 2 or 4 code points (out of 64) for the
PIM Join Attribute Types and 4 code points (out of 256) for the
Encoded-Source Address Encoding Type Field.

I don't have a strong opinion on using "Experimental" vs "Private"; both
have been used.  However, probable use for both of these would seem to
me more likely to be some form of experiment, rather than some
widely-deployed special (private) use.  So, I would vote for "Experimental".

  Bill

On 08/02/2014 10:14 AM, Adrian Farrel wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> pim mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim
> 

-- 
Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email:[email-masked]
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8