Subject: [pim] Question on anycast rp

From: "iamredheart22 ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:24:40 +0530

Hello,

        I have a question on anycast rp(rfc 4610). This is where rp(rpA)
sends copy of the register message to other rps(rpB and rpC) in the anycast
rp set. If dest ip of the outer header is rp address then the packet
reaches either rpB or rpC, whichever is closest to rpA. How do the packets
reach corresponding rps? What difference is there between a copy to rpB and
a copy to rpC if egress interface to reach both the peers from rpA is same?

Thanks,
Indranil

---

From: Yiqun Cai <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 15:40:56 +0000

The destination address of the outer header is *not* the anycast RP address. So RPA has to send one copy to RP-B and another to RP-C.

--

Yiqun

________________________________
From: pim <[email-masked]> on behalf of iamredheart22 . <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:54 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [pim] Question on anycast rp

Hello,

        I have a question on anycast rp(rfc 4610). This is where rp(rpA) sends copy of the register message to other rps(rpB and rpC) in the anycast rp set. If dest ip of the outer header is rp address then the packet reaches either rpB or rpC, whichever is closest to rpA. How do the packets reach corresponding rps? What difference is there between a copy to rpB and a copy to rpC if egress interface to reach both the peers from rpA is same?

Thanks,
Indranil