Subject: [pim] I-D Action: draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 17:39:49 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Protocols for IP Multicast Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : PIM flooding mechanism and source discovery
        Authors         : IJsbrand Wijnands
                          Stig Venaas
                          Michael Brig
                          Anders Jonasson
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr-03.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2015-07-01

Abstract:
   PIM Sparse-Mode uses a Rendezvous Point (RP) and shared trees to
   forward multicast packets to Last Hop Routers (LHR).  After the first
   packet is received by the LHR, the source of the multicast stream is
   learned and the Shortest Path Tree (SPT) can be joined.  This draft
   proposes a solution to support PIM Sparse Mode (SM) without the need
   for PIM registers, RPs or shared trees.  Multicast source information
   is flooded throughout the multicast domain using a new generic PIM
   flooding mechanism.  This mechanism is defined in this document, and
   is modeled after the PIM Bootstrap Router protocol.  By removing the
   need for RPs and shared trees, the PIM-SM procedures are simplified,
   improving router operations, management and making the protocol more
   robust.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/