Subject: [pim] RFC 8736 on PIM Message Type Space Extension and Reserved Bits

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 19:41:50 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8736

        Title:      PIM Message Type Space Extension 
                    and Reserved Bits 
        Author:     S. Venaas,
                    A. Retana
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Obsoletes:  RFC 6166
        Updates:    RFC 3973, RFC 5015, RFC 5059, RFC 6754, 
                    RFC 7761, RFC 8364

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pim-reserved-bits-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8736

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8736

The PIM version 2 messages share a common message header format. The
common header definition contains eight reserved bits. This document
specifies how these bits may be used by individual message types and
creates a registry containing the per-message-type usage. This
document also extends the PIM type space by defining three new
message types. For each of the new types, four of the previously
reserved bits are used to form an extended type range.

This document updates RFCs 7761 and 3973 by defining the use of the
currently Reserved field in the PIM common header. This document
further updates RFCs 7761 and 3973, along with RFCs 5015, 5059, 6754,
and 8364, by specifying the use of the currently reserved bits for
each PIM message.

This document obsoletes RFC 6166.

This document is a product of the Protocols for IP Multicast Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC