Subject: [pim] RFC 8775 on PIM Designated Router Load Balancing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 18:54:43 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8775

        Title:      PIM Designated Router Load Balancing 
        Author:     Y. Cai, H. Ou,
                    S. Vallepalli,
                    M. Mishra,
                    S. Venaas,
                    A. Green
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pim-drlb-15.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8775

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8775

On a multi-access network, one of the PIM-SM (PIM Sparse Mode)
routers is elected as a Designated Router. One of the
responsibilities of the Designated Router is to track local multicast
listeners and forward data to these listeners if the group is
operating in PIM-SM. This document specifies a modification to the
PIM-SM protocol that allows more than one of the PIM-SM routers to
take on this responsibility so that the forwarding load can be
distributed among multiple routers.

This document is a product of the Protocols for IP Multicast Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC