Subject: Re: Eureka! SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY -- suggestion for compromise

From: [email-masked] (Lawrence Conroy)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 23:34:47 +0100

At 12:41 am 3/9/99, Bernie Hoeneisen wrote:
>On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Scott Petrack wrote:
>
>> 3. A SUB SCRIBE is ended by sending a new SUB SCRIBE with Expires:0
>>
>>       A BYE is not used to end a monitoring session.
>
>A question to your proposual: What has the server/gateway to send,
>if it wants to terminate the monitoring session?
>
>Also SUB SCRIBE with Expires:0? (Although this would be possible, it
>sounds somehow unlogical to me.)
>And another problem is, that it would no longer be possible to indicate
>in the Expires header, for how long a new SUB SCRIBE for the same call
>sessen can be sent (following section 3..5.3.3). Or am I wrong?
>
>t. Bernie

Thanks, Bernie,
   You're dead right.
I should stay silent for longer (sound of muffled cheers :).
If the Gateway is to terminate a monitoring session, it really has to send
a BYE. Sending a SUB with an Expires=0 is (i) inelegant, and (ii) would
almost certainly break SPIRITS/PIN, in which a Gateway may really subscribe
to something that happens "on the Internet".

All the best, Lawrence
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Lawrence Conroy,    | "These Opinions must be mine, 'cos if they    |
| Roke Manor Research |  were my Company's they'd charge you for them"|
|- [email-masked]  ---+- Tel: +44 1794 833666  Fax: +44 1794 833434 --|

---------
This message came from the IETF PINT Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 18:44:59 -0400

> to something that happens "on the Internet".

Actually, I would argue the best way to terminate the monitoring session
from the gateway is to send a NOTIFY with Expires:0. I'm not sure what
(if anything) pint says about Expires in a notify; seems to make sense
to me to indicate the amount of time remaining in the subscription that
the notify is associated with.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX: (732) 834-5379                         Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen

---------