Subject: [Fwd: WG ACTION: Session Initiation Protocol (sip)]

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:26:39 -0400

Folks,

My apologies for the broad cross-posting, but I wanted to make sure
folks see this.

As those who attended mmusic in Oslo may recall, there was agreement
that the work of mmusic was becoming too much. In particular, the SIP
related activities were enough to warrant its own group. The mmusic
session devoted some time to deciding on what a new group would look
like. It was agreed that such a group SHOULD NOT focus on pure IP
telephony aspects of SIP, but rather its broadest application. As such,
a new sip working group has been formed. its charter is to fully own
SIP, including its movement to draft, and any extensions which may
arise. It is within the charter that maintaining the generality and
broad application of SIP, and keeping it simple, are primary goals of
the groups activity. Note that the email below is incorrect regarding
the area; the sip working group is within the transport area.

From here on, we would like to use the sip mailing list
([email-masked]) for SIP related discussion. mmusic is
still active, and is going to continue work on sap, sdp, rtsp, and those
non-SIP things. As such, please use the mmusic list ([email-masked])
for discussion of those issues.

*************************************
NOTE: YOU WILL NOT BE AUTOMATICALLY SUBSCRIBED TO THE SIP MAILING LIST.
YOU MUST SUBSCRIBE YOURSELF USING THE PROCEDURES ON THE SIP WEB PAGE
http://www.bell-labs.com/mailing-lists/sip/

WHICH SAYS TO SEND MAIL TO [email-masked] WITH
THE SINGLE WORD
subscribe IN THE BODY

DO NOT SEND SUBSCRIPTION REQUESTS TO [email-masked] OR
[email-masked]
*************************************

Thanks,
Jonathan Rosenberg
Joerg Ott
Dean Willis
sip co-chairs

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX:   (732) 834-5379                       Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen

Subject: WG ACTION: Session Initiation Protocol (sip)
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:16:20 -0400

A new working group has been formed in the Internet Area of the
IETF. Please contact the chair or Area Directors for additional
information.

Session Initiation Protocol (sip)
---------------------------------
 
 Current Status: Active Working Group
 
 Chair(s):
     Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
     Joerg Ott <[email-masked]>
     Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
 
 Transport Area Director(s): 
     Scott Bradner  <[email-masked]>
     Vern Paxson  <[email-masked]>
 
 Transport Area Advisor: 
     Vern Paxson  <[email-masked]>
 
 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       subscribe
     Archive:           http://www.bell-labs.com/mailing-lists/sip

Description of Working Group:
 
The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) working group is chartered to
continue the development of SIP, currently specified as proposed 
standard RFC 2543. SIP is a text-based protocol, similar to HTTP and 
SMTP, for initiating interactive communication sessions between users. 
Such sessions include voice, video, chat, interactive games, and virtual 
reality.  The main work of the group involves bringing SIP from proposed 
to draft standard, in addition to developing proposed extensions.

Throughout its work, the group will strive to maintain the basic model
and architecture defined by SIP. In particular:

1. Services and features are provided end to end whenever possible.

2. Extensions and new features must be general purpose, and not
   applicable only to a specific set of session types.

3. Simplicity is key.

4. Reuse of existing IP protocols and architectures, and integrating
   with other IP applications, is crucial.

SIP was first developed within the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control
(MMUSIC) working group, and the SIP working group will continue to 
maintain active communications with MMUSIC. This is particularly 
important since the main MIME type carried in SIP messages, the Session 
Description Protocol (SDP), specified in RFC 2327, is developed by 
MMUSIC. The group will also maintain open dialogues with the IP 
telephony (iptel) working group, whose Call Processing Language (CPL) 
relates to many features of SIP, and the PSTN and Internet 
Internetworking (pint) working group, whose specification
is based on SIP; and will consider input from the Distributed Call 
Signaling Group (DCS) for distributed telephony services.

The specific deliverables of the group are:

1. A Draft Standard version of SIP.

2. Completion of the SIP call control specification, which enables
   multiparty services, such as transfer and bridged sessions.

3. Completion of the SIP caller preferences specification, which
   enables intelligent call routing services.

4. Completion of the SIP INFO method extension, used for carrying SIP
   session related information.

5. Completion of the "183 response" extension, to enable early session
   establishment.

Other deliverables may be agreed upon as extensions are proposed.
 
 Goals and Milestones: 
 
   Dec 99       INFO Method extension submitted to IESG                        

   Feb 00       Early session establishment extension submitted to IESG        

   Mar 00       Caller preferences specification submitted to IESG             

   May 00       Call control specification submitted to IESG                   

   Jul 00       Draft standard version of SIP submitted to IESG